‘Barbie’ Soundtrack: The Woes of Being A Human Being

Promo image for Ice Spice and Nicki Minaj’s “Barbie World” (Courtesy of Atlantic Records)

By now, most of you have probably seen Greta Gerwig’s anticipated masterpiece “Barbie” and have gotten a few tunes replaying over and over again in your head as if you just saw your first musical. Although, I haven’t seen it yet, so no spoilers in the comments. Until I’m able to laugh, cry and serve looks in a theater with dozens of other girlies and gays, I’ve been listening to the soundtrack in giddy anticipation of what treasures are in store. Here are a few of my favorites!

Barbie World” — Ice Spice and Nicki Minaj with Aqua

I’m a huge Ice Spice fan and a die-hard Barb. However, I was sort of underwhelmed with this song the first time I heard the short snippet released early. It fell into the kind of criticism Ice Spice gets pretty frequently — she sounds sort of bored. 

I can proudly say I do not feel this way anymore and feel quite embarrassed to have ever felt that way at all. I never should have doubted the Queen and her newly coronated princess. As I listened to the song again I realized it contained some of the greatest lines written in modern history. Lyrics such as “I keep draggin her so she bald a bit” and “it girls and we ain’t playin tag” are so exemplary of the wit and supremacy of female rappers. “Barbie World” is also objectively perfect for the movie it was made for. Nicki has always been Barbie, and Ice’s nonchalant rapping fits so well for a song about dolls. I can’t believe I ever doubted this hot pink, campy masterpiece!

Pink” — Lizzo & “Dance the Night” — Dua Lipa

Both of these songs typify the fun and femininity that is Barbie. Though they aren’t quite as impeccable as the official Barbie classics like “Free,” “I am a Girl Like You,” “We’re Gonna Find It,” and “Here On My Island”  but I could go on. They felt like authentic interpolations of the themes that make Barbie songs Barbie songs.

“Pink” especially plays into the tongue and cheek humor that Gerwig’s “Barbie” is all about. The song’s outro, “P, pretty / I, intelligent / N, never sad / K, cool,” feels straight out of “Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse” and it hints at some of the emotional analysis of a character like Barbie we are sure to get in the movie.

What Was I Made For?” — Billie Eilish

Though I would totally be down for two hours of Margot Robbie being fabulous in pink and absolutely nothing else, we all know “Barbie” is going to be an emotional rollercoaster that makes us rethink our place in the world, our femininity and our childhood. This is directed by the same woman who exposed all of our mommy issues with “Lady Bird” back in 2017.

“What Was I Made For?” is the single from the soundtrack that isn’t just a happy, fun and funky party song. The song immediately has me bawling with just the opening lines; “I used to float, now I just fall down / I used to know, but I’m not sure now / What I was made for?”

I almost wish “Barbie” could just be fun. I wish we could float down a stream of pink root beer and collect materialist products in an endless cycle of nostalgic consumption. Although, we must all face the existential crisis that must be “Barbie.” After all, it cured Robbie’s addiction to not serving. Maybe after the tears, we’ll feel a little less like plastic dolls puppeted by a corrupt system that seeks to exploit us. I could be wrong, I haven’t seen the movie yet!

@ed_edd_n_edie