Arts Desk Advice For Incoming Freshmen

Entering the world of higher education for the first time can be difficult for anyone, especially for incoming freshmen.
Brenda Payan Medina
(Design by Brenda Payan Medina | Daily Utah Chronicle)

Entering the world of higher education for the first time can be difficult for anyone, especially for freshmen. However, with this in mind, here are a few tips to help familiarize yourself with the University of Utah and what it has to offer.

Be an Intern

Many majors will require you to join an internship to fulfill a course credit, but even if yours doesn’t, an internship is an invaluable experience for a college student. It’s a great opportunity to apply knowledge gained from classes to the real world. One way to get your foot in the door is to join an internship through the Hinckley Institute of Politics. They accommodate all majors and offer help assisting students find internships that are local, national or even international. Their strongest program is based in Washington D.C. Beyond that, it’s also a great opportunity for professional development and networking both with professionals and fellow students.

Be Mighty

The Mighty Utah Student Section (the MUSS) has lived up to its name every season for over 20 years. The MUSS gives students the opportunity to cheer for their peers in football, basketball, gymnastics and more. It’s an incredible opportunity to experience the passion U students have for their teams, one that is not lost on writers at the Daily Utah Chronicle.

The newest development? Try the “MUSS Bus,” an additional package that gives students a bus fare, a two-night hotel stay, pre-game tailgating and, of course, seating with the MUSS. It only comes around for one game a year, so catch it as soon as you can.

Be Present on Campus

Every new semester, U Career Success organizes a host of career and internship fairs for opportunities on campus and in greater Salt Lake City. Already the games and matches are filling up for the Fall 2023 to Spring 2024 season. In addition, there are over 550 Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) at the U that cover just about every interest you can think of. Additionally, every first few weeks of the semester the U celebrates the start of the new semester with Crimson Nights. Student Media is always looking for new voices on a variety of platforms and topics. The Daily Utah Chronicle is a versatile platform of course, but there’s also GeekWave, UteCast, ADThing and Wasatch Magazine that all coalesce together to celebrate the year’s works at EPICS.

Be Aware

If heading into the thick of it is not for you, there are quieter places on campus. The Marriott Library may be a busy hub of activity during the day but there are extensive multi-use rooms available for students to rent, for solo work, group work, podcasting, VR use and more. Most buildings such as Languages & Communication, Gardner Commons and the David Eccles School of Business, to name a few, have designated study spaces for students to rest between classes or after a long day.

Aside from campus, downtown Salt Lake City has tons to offer and is only a short UTA or TRAX ride away with your student ID. The city is home to historic local businesses, hidden gems, and a slew of unique coffee shops to spend an afternoon in — Kahve Cafe, Coffee Garden and Salt Lake Roasting Co. to highlight a few.

“We know this is an incredible transition of life,” said U of U President Taylor Randall during an address to incoming freshmen and parents. “I hope you see the possibilities in front of you. I hope that someday you’ll say, ‘I found someone, I found something, I found balance in my education and I’m really grateful I had the opportunity that many others don’t have to get a college education and it changed my life.’”

Overall, the piece of advice that applies to anyone at the U is to be outgoing and take advantage of this new chapter of your life.

@apm_andre