Frozen Yogurt Shop UGURT Shifts to New Ownership and Name

Boba Bee is taking over the lease on 200 S where student-favorite UGURT stood.
Xiangyao Tang
The UGURT, now named Boba Bee, at 1330 E 200 S in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Sept. 7, 2023 changed ownership recently. (Photo by Xiangyao “Axe” Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

As you might have noticed, the student favorite hangout UGURT is no longer there — at least not in the same capacity it was.

The frozen yogurt shop was located right off of the campus of the University of Utah, on 200 S, next to the The Pie Pizzeria.

The shop that stands where UGURT once was is called Boba Bee, and will operate in the same location after taking over the lease from the previous tenant.

UGURT operated from 2013 to 2023, serving students frozen yogurt, as well as hot chocolate during the colder months.

Students can still get their frozen yogurt fix under the new ownership but the updated menu will also include items like boba and sandwiches.

Boba Bee is a Utah-based chain, and has locations in places like Provo, American Fork, Orem and Spanish Fork.

Ella Williamson is a sophomore at the U, studying theater. She has also worked at UGURT for seven months and now serves as the general manager for the store.

Williamson said the transfer came after the original UGURT owner’s lease expired this summer, and they decided not to renew.

“I was under the impression that they were just gonna close for a week, renovate and then like, reopen,” Williamson said.

A lot of the original factors and equipment that made UGURT, UGURT, were sold, but they didn’t move far.

“What kind of happened is the lease was renewed for the new owners and then a lot of our stuff in our inventory from UGURT was also sold to the new owners, including our machines and some of our current inventory, like the yogurt dishes,” Williamson said.

The shop was a supporter of student life on campus and would offer a student discount to anyone who showed their student ID. Williamson is hopeful that the new owners will do the same thing.

The UGURT at 1330 E 200 S in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Sept.7, 2023. (Photo by Xiangyao “Axe” Tang | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

The owners of UGURT expressed their gratitude via Facebook as they prepared to close.

“We have been overwhelmed by the response of our last post and want to thank you all for the positive comments and loving DM’s,” the post read. “We can definitely say we’re going out on a high note! We LOVE you guys!”

Even though the new tenants are operating inside, the original signage for UGURT is still currently displayed.

“So it still kind of looks like UGURT though now we’re technically under the new management,” Williamson said. “They have their point-of-sale system, and so the business thus far has switched, but it still looks like the exact same thing since the renovations haven’t happened yet.”

Camille Shreeve, a sophomore at the U studying computer science who lives near Boba Bee, said she was confused with the business change because she heard the shop was closing even though the original sign was still up.

Shreeve added she was excited about the new opportunities a different shop could bring for students on campus.

“I’m excited about the changes,” she said. “I feel like the last time I went there, it was really empty. So I feel like maybe when it changes, people will be more excited to go try it. It could be fun.”

Since there is no other place on or near campus to get boba, Shreeve says she is really excited to check out the new shop, since it is so walkable to her.

Williamson says she hopes the place will be a place for students to gather, and be a sort of “homey” place to hangout.

The Daily Utah Chronicle’s request for comment from Boba Bee was not returned.

@AllisonChrony