Ed Sheeran’s ‘Autumn Variations’ is Stagnant and Bland

Although Sheeran is claiming that this album is his way of breaking free of industry standards that have kept him from writing what he really wants to write, there isn’t much about “Autumn Variations” that’s all that different.
Ed Sheeran’s “Autumn Variations” (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

On Sept. 29, Ed Sheeran released his latest album, “Autumn Variations.” The base album features 14 original songs and a second disc titled the “Fan Living Room Sessions” which gives fans live acoustic versions of the same pieces. 

Mismatched Intentions

According to CBS News, “Sheeran said he wanted to put out an independent record and move away from the industry’s pressure to put out hit after hit.” Although Sheeran is claiming that this album is his way of breaking free of industry standards that have kept him from writing what he really wants to write, there isn’t much about “Autumn Variations” that’s all that different. The lyrics dictate very base-line relatable love stories with repetitive choruses, which is no change from Sheeran’s past content. Most of the pieces feel like they belong in a coming-of-age Disney Channel original movie.

Style Variations

Sheeran has been known for years as an artist who incorporates many styles into his music, and “Autumn Variations” is no exception. There are elements of folk, pop and soul in all of the songs in the album. However, it’s hit or miss as to whether they incorporate well together or clash against each other. There is a smooth transition between songs like “Blue“, “American Town” and “That’s On Me.” Whereas the jump from “Page” to “Midnight” and “Amazing” to “Plastic Bag” is stylistically jarring. In terms of the songs themselves, “Amazing” sticks out like a sore thumb, and is probably the least engaging song on the album. The upbeat tempo and major tone do not relate at all to the fairly depressing lyrics: “And my lips are searchin’ for what happiness is / I’m draggin’ my feet, tryin’ to breathe again / […] Yeah, wish I could feel amazin’ / But this is all that I can feel today.” “Plastic Bag,” however, is by far the best song on the album. The music fits with the lyrics, which are more evocative and less shallow than most of the other songs.

Continuing to Climb

Sheeran’s new album doesn’t seem to be making much of an impact on American audiences, as it has yet to either get any songs onto the Billboard Hot 100 or place Sheeran back onto the Artist 100. Despite all of this, however, “Autumn Variations” has climbed to the No. 1 spot in the UK’s Official Albums Chart, surpassing Olivia Rodrigo’s “Guts,” which has been in the top 10 of Official Albums for all four weeks that it’s been out, and is currently No. 2 on the Billboard 200.

Even though Sheeran has an estimated net worth of $200 million, over 75 million monthly listeners on Spotify and has had multiple No. 1 spots on various Billboard charts, “Autumn Variations” is nothing to write home about.

@audrey_h_chrony