U Food Drive Unites the Community Against Hunger

Kiffer Creveling
The University of Utah Alumni Association is hosting a food drive throughout the month of November.

The U is partnering with the Utah Food Bank for the 22nd annual “United Against Hunger” food drive.

Throughout November, the Alumni Association, Student Alumni Board and the MUSS Board will gather canned goods and monetary donations for the Utah Food Bank.

Different U organizations such as Greek Row, ASUU and various academic departments will compete to gather the most food. In addition to bragging rights, the winner will receive a yet-to-be-determined prize. Local businesses will also be given the chance to compete against one another.

Restaurants around the city can volunteer to donate a portion of their proceeds from a given night to the food drive. A few have already partnered, including Red Robin and Pizza Studio.

— Kiffer Creveling
— Kiffer Creveling

Local elementary, junior high and high schools have also joined the donation efforts. For the 35 schools involved, the individual drives started earlier in the season to finish in time for Thanksgiving.

During that week, the food drive will turn its efforts to local grocery stores by sending students to request donations from shoppers. Throughout the month, students will also lobby for donations in neighborhoods.

Food drives across the nation have seen a decline in canned food donations, but experienced a monetary increase. Those involved with the drive expect to see lower amounts of food, but hope to raise more money than the previous year, said Ryan Wadge, vice president of the Student Alumni Board.

Each dollar donated equates to $7.35 worth of food, so “monetary donations at this time of year really help the food bank,” said John Fackler, director of alumni relations of the U Alumni Association.

The 2014 drive gathered enough contributions to provide meals for 109 families of four for a year.

This year, the goal is to at least match the number of meals provided by the previous drive.

Any canned, non-perishable foods are accepted. However, expired food will not be taken by the drive.

Wadge believes the food drive helps bolster a sense of community among all involved.

“It’s a good way to give back to the community that you’ve been a part of,” Wagner said.

Every day 15 percent of Utahns and 20 percent of Utah children face missing a meal. With the holiday season just around the corner, Fackler said now is an important time to reach out.

Fackler said: “Whether it be cans or money, it all makes a difference.”

@sarahnlegg