Gymnastics: Red Rocks preview shaping up to be a fun yet useful show

Chris Ayers

Utah’s season doesn’t officially start until the new year rolls around, but the fans can get a taste of what is ahead in the Red Rocks Preview tonight. The annual event will be held in the Huntsman Center and is free to any spectators wishing to get a sneak peek at the team that will compete in the upcoming season.

After having a long offseason full of practice and workouts, it can be nice for the gymnasts to get a taste of the competition floor once again as Utes. Even the seniors, who are accustomed to the feeling of competing in front of massive crowds in the Huntsman, are eager to get on the floor and display all the progress they’ve made over the offseason. This is Kailah Delaney’s fifth year with this program, yet she is still looking forward to the preview.

“I think we are all really excited,” Delaney said. “Everyone has worked really hard, and we are all ready to show off our hard work. We’re ready to be in the Huntsman Center again.”

The U will shut down for winter break next week, and the Red Rocks will have some time off to celebrate the Christmas season with their friends and families. To be able to have this preview right before the break is a smart move by the team. It will give the players a feel of what’s to come and help them stay sharp heading into the break.

“I think it helps us get in the mode of competition season,” said sophomore Kari Lee. “I think it’s a good thing to do before our Christmas break with competition season coming up right after Christmas.”

The Red Rocks preview won’t be all work, though. The fans will be treated to quite the spectacle Friday night as they pack into the building for the popular showcase. There will be free magnets and gymnastics trading cards given to the first 2,500 spectators, and a guest appearance will be made by Santa and Mrs. Claus for the kids. In addition, the introduction to the meet will include a fireworks display. All this simply for an exhibition meet that will go unscored.

While the fans will be treated to a night of fun and festivities, co-head coach Megan Marsden will be using this night to scout out her own team.

“For [co-head coach Tom Farden] and I, we need to watch and see how [the gymnasts] handle the situation,” Marsden said. “We need to see the team dynamics and how they gel together. We’re looking for some leadership from the older girls in helping the younger ones along. So that each time we’re out there this season, quickly those freshmen and sophomores become more and more veteran-like by the time we get to the postseason.”

The Utes will have four freshmen making their Utah debut at the Red Rocks Preview. Shannon McNatt, MaKenna Merrell, Erika Muhaw and Sabrina Schwab will all take part in their first meet as Utes. They come into the program having already compiled an impressive resume of high Junior Olympic finishes, and McNatt and Schwab were two elite qualifiers before they committed to Utah.

Ultimately the Utes will take a lot from this preview. This will be a time for the older members of the team to work out the rustiness, and the freshmen will get a chance to show off their skills in front of a large crowd in the Huntsman.

@Twelvegage96