Revisit 6 Films of Sundance Festivals Past

Sundance is notoriously expensive, and sometimes volunteering for 20-odd hours just isn’t worth the free tickets. But never fear, you can still get some of the festival’s best indie films for free on your laptop — just a couple of years late.

“Indie Game: The Movie” (2012) Netflix

Ever wanted to become a game designer? Watch the hard work that independent developers put into making a game and all the struggles that come with it. We see the lives of Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes slowly decay as they desperately try to complete 2010’s smash hit, “Super Meat Boy.”

“The Blair Witch Project” (1999) Hulu

Perhaps the greatest found-footage horror film ever made, “The Blair Witch Project” follows three students making a documentary about a local urban legend — and never coming back. A year later, the film claims, their footage is found. Follow Heather, Michael and Josh as they travel into the woods where they search to find the Blair Witch. Although the shaky camera work is a bit nauseating, it gives you a sense of how horrified the students are.

“Touchy Feely” (2013) Netflix

Nominated for the Grand Jury Prize in 2013, “Touchy Feely” follows Paul, a boring dentist who cured a man of joint dysfunction. Once word of mouth spreads about his skills and he has more patients, he realizes there is more to life and gets in touch with his spirituality. Meanwhile, his sister Abby becomes averted to touch or being touched. Although this film plays it safe (very safe, I might add) its hopeful nature and spectacular performances make it a must see.

“Man on Wire” (2008) Netflix

Let’s go back to 1974 and witness Philippe Petit accomplish one of the most daring tasks man has done: tight-rope between the Twin Towers. This documentary gives a (sometimes dramatized) reenactment of Petit training for the seemingly suicidal task and goes into incredible detail of how he and his friends were able to sneak into the World Trade Center.

“Clerks” (1994) Netflix

When it comes to Sundance, usually the smaller the budget a film has, the better it turns out. Shot entirely in black and white with a budget of $27,575, this 90s classic gives us nine different stories throughout a day that shouldn’t have happened for Dante Hicks when he’s forced to cover a coworker’s shift. From playing hockey on top of his convenience store, to selling cigarettes to a four year old, to his ex-girlfriend committing an outrageous sexual act, there is something for everyone in this film.

“Reservoir Dogs” (1992) Netflix

Violent racists and a convoluted plot make what is basically your average Quentin Tarantino film. See where it all began for him with his directorial debut that has us following Mr. Blonde, Mr. Blue, Mr. Brown, Mr. Orange, Mr. Pink and Mr. White as they plan a heist to steal diamonds, just not in that linear order, of course.