Upper Campus Pizza Parlor in the Works

Housing & Residential Education (HRE) and Campus Dining Services are teaming up to provide students with a place to catch the game, hang out, study and eat a healthy dose of pizza.

The planned pizza parlor will move into the vacant building below Red Butte Garden where Outdoor Adventures was prior to relocating to the Student Life Center. The space was originally constructed in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration as a swimming pool.

“Our students use it now for intramural sports [and] pick-up games,” said Barb Remsburg, HRE Director. “Our hope is that it will remain a student space.”

The idea was first proposed in April 2015. Since January, HRE and Campus Dining Services have moved forward with the remodel of the unnamed restaurant.

“Ideally, we will be open for move-in on Aug. 18,” Remsburg said — although the date is still flexible because of the time required in changing the format of the building.

With the beginning details cleared, the next step for the pizza parlor is creating a more “detailed schedule and selecting a contractor.” Dining will include specialty pizza and other classics, such as salads and hot subs.

“The menu will be influenced by customer needs as the place grows,” said Melody Anderson, director of marketing and guest experience for Campus Dining Services.

The restaurant, which will be open until midnight, will still retain the volleyball courts, and students will be able to use the outside area for recreational use. Although intended to be a dine-in restaurant, there may also be options for delivery.

While aimed at supplying students with another food source on upper campus, the pizza restaurant will be open to the public, especially for events like concerts at Red Butte Garden that could attract additional customers.

Full-time staff and part-time student employees will run the restaurant, and students living in housing will be able to use either flex or dining dollars from HRE meal plans. Traditional payments, such as credit or debit cards and cash, will also be accepted. HRE will ask students for input on what to name the parlor as plans move forward.

@BeauHart13