Former Utes Changing Positions In Order To Make Dreams Come True

Looking ahead to the NFL Draft and potential NFL careers, a few Utah football players are worthy of being selected at the positions they played throughout their collegiate careers. For others, however, that isn’t the case — more specifically, for the quarterbacks. With limited availability and openings for that position in the NFL, former Utah quarterbacks will do just about anything to make it to the next level.

Kendal Thompson has made the transition from quarterback to wide receiver since the end of last season and even saw some time at that position in the 2015 Vegas Bowl, finishing with one catch for eight yards.

He has dedicated a lot of the time in between that game and Thursday’s Pro Day to better his skills, and he thinks that having played quarterback previously gives him a special insight into the wide receiver position. He still has a few things to keep working on, but it’s been smoother than most people would expect.

“I’m new to the receiver stuff, so it was a new challenge, but I think I handled it pretty well,” Thompson said. “Being a former quarterback actually helps me from recognizing coverages and things like that. The main thing for me is the technique stuff, crisping up my routes and fine-tuning the little things that go along with playing receiver.”

While he is dealing with the change quite well, his daughter is still getting used to it. She continues to ask her dad why he isn’t throwing the ball and why he is catching it now. However, on the sidelines during Pro Day, she was smiling ear-to-ear seeing her dad participate and saying things like “I see Daddy!” and “That was quick!” when he caught a ball.

Little things like that keep Thompson going and reassure him that changing positions to increase his potential at playing in the next level is the right thing to do.

Travis Wilson also participated in Utah’s Pro Day and was throwing for the entirety of the passing drills since he was the only quarterback in the Eccles Field House showcasing his talents at that position. Oftentimes the person on the end of his passes was Thompson.

“Me and him got a great relationship, and we’re on the same page,” Thompson said. “He looked good today and made our job easier with some good throws, and it was a fun deal.”

Wilson also credits Thompson for going out there and doing his best job to make him look better and can see all the hard work he has put in during the offseason.

Wilson’s mechanics have always been criticized during his time at Utah, and it’s been in the last few months that he has finally been taking steps to clean up his throwing motion. He’s working on keeping the ball up higher and is working on the basic fundamentals so he can be a more accurate passer, and he felt he did just that during Utah’s Pro Day.

Although he would like to continue playing as a quarterback, Wilson is open to a change if need be.

“I don’t ever want someone to see me as just a quarterback,” Wilson said. “I just want to be the best teammate I can be and the best player I can be. If a position change does happen down the road, then it’s all about working towards that.”

On the other side of the ball, another person more than willing to change his position is Tevin Carter. The typical strong safety feels as though he has the versatility to play at any position on defense and although he does prefer to stay where he’s comfortable, he will take anything he can get. He loves football more than anything else and would do just about anything to make it.

Carter thinks he proved himself worthy in front of the NFL scouts so he can play the position he wants.

“Safety, linebacker, [defensive line], wherever they want me,” Carter said. “ I feel like I did a pretty good job today that I can play safety, so I hope that’s the case.”

Wherever these former Utes end up, they all want to make sure they do everything in their power to continue playing the game that has taken up so much of their life.

@kbrenneisen