“Archer” Season 7 premiere: Intriguing, but leaves questions unanswered

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

“Archer” is one of the few reasons why I continue to watch cable TV. I am just too impatient to wait for the entire season to come out on DVD or on Netflix. That’s why I was glad to see the season seven premiere, “The Figgis Agency,” on Thursday night.

The series begins with two detectives investigating a murder at the estate of an actress named Veronica Dean. The victim turned out to be the butler, who was Archer.

Flashback three months ago and we see the former ISIS gang starting a detective agency (with Cyril in charge) in Los Angeles because they’ve been disavowed by the CIA. Their first contract comes from Dean to steal a disk with information on it (assumed to be a sex tape, as usual) from her ex-husband’s divorce lawyer. Of course, the operation doesn’t go off without a hitch, but they manage to steal it. The episode leaves us on a cliffhanger as it turns out that Dean was an imposter, and the real Dean later appears.

The show has its usual Archer gags that will easily entertain the fans. “Phrasing” is still dead (“You guys took it for granted!” Archer said when everyone expected him to say it).

Although many people were not a fan of “Archer Vice” (season five), I was, because it was a nice break from the normal espionage. Season six returned to its roots, but this season takes the “Magnum P.I.” route, which will make for a fun season.

This season opener is the first time I’ve had more questions walking away from an episode than I did going in. The entire episode was a flashback without solving the major issue. Perhaps this season will be continuous, since most seasons take three months to finish. Or maybe it will be solved in the first few episodes. Or is this the final season of “Archer” because he’ll be killed off?

Archer’s abused butler, Woodhouse, still has yet to make an appearance (or even reference since being absent in season six). Regardless, if this episode sets the tone for the rest of the season, then Archer fans will be satisfied.

Catch next week’s episode, “The Handoff,” on Thursday at 8 only on FX.