On the Other Sideline: 9 Questions with The Daily Bruin

Mackenzie Possee/Daily Bruin.

The Utes are looking to better their record to 7-1 on the road this weekend at UCLA. Before Saturday’s matchup, The Daily Utah Chronicle spoke to Tuanh Dam, sports editor for the Daily Bruin, to get a good look at the Bruin squad.

Q: The Bruins have suffered back to back losses against Arizona State and Washington State, what’s the state of the team?

AD: They’ve been saying the same thing — if they can make the running game the slightest bit dangerous, the offense will be more potent. Head coach Jim Mora also hinted at several changes in the offensive personnel and scheme. Another potential change is at kicker – Mora reopened competition between freshmen J.J. Molson and Andrew Strauch for the starting position.

Q: What have they learned from the losses?

AD: Honestly, nothing new. They’ve known how atrocious the run game is, so the big thing they’ve learned is just how bad it has been and how it has really been detrimental to the rest of their game.

Q: What has been going right for UCLA? What particularly went right in its lone Pac-12 win against Arizona?

AD: The one bright spot for UCLA so far has been their defense. It is 28th in the country in yards allowed per game and it has been the one [thing] keeping it in the game, even in the four close losses. Against Arizona, a lot of things went right for the Bruins. The receivers were catching the ball consistently. The running game, while not stellar, did a relatively okay job to help out the offense.

Q: Who/what should Utah be worried about on UCLA’s offense?

AD: Darren Andrews has really emerged as the Bruins’ top receiving target. Last week, Andrews had eight receptions for 116 yards and two touchdowns. Redshirt sophomore receiver Jordan Lasley has also shown an affinity for the big play, catching a 52-yard touchdown pass against Arizona State and another TD against Washington State.

Q: What kind of an impact would Josh Rosen make if he does play? Will it hamper UCLA if he doesn’t play?

AD: Having Josh Rosen would obviously be a big relief for fans, coaches and the rest of the team. But he won’t do much good for the team and the rest of the season if he tries to play before he’s relatively healthy. If he doesn’t play, it’ll likely be redshirt senior Mike Fafaul starting again. Against Washington State, he got off to a slow start but picked up steam by the fourth quarter. If Fafaul limits his turnovers, then the offense may stand a chance. Without Rosen last week, the offense was still able to muster 258 yards and three touchdowns with Fafaul at the helm.  

Q: Who/what should Utah be worried about on UCLA’s defense?

AD: Probably Jayon Brown and Takk McKinley. Brown is a linebacker and the “quarterback spy” for the Bruins who keeps the quarterback from escaping the pocket or going for extra yards. Takk is pretty much a defensive line beast. He’s able to rush past anyone across from him to get to the ball, but he has been limited at times with a recurring groin injury.

Q: Is there anyone, in particular, the Bruins will be keeping their eye on from Utah?

AD: Hunter Dimick for sure. He’s the Utes’ sack leader with five on the season, and Bruins’ shaky offensive line has been well documented. With Rosen already being injured due to sacks, UCLA can’t afford to lose any more personnel or Rosen again.

Q: What does a win/loss do for the Bruins?

AD: A win would honestly be a huge boost for UCLA. With an outside chance of clinching the Pac-12 South, an upset of a division powerhouse would be a step in the right direction. On the flip side, a loss would effectively end its Pac-12 hopes. Thus, this matchup is actually quite a big one for the Bruins.

Q: Who do you think will win? And why? 

AD: This prediction hinges on the return, or not, of sophomore quarterback Josh Rosen.

Rosen did not play against Washington State, and he did not look to be on the practice field on Tuesday morning. But he did practice on Wednesday, and coach Jim Mora said the quarterback was extremely close to starting last Saturday, and he is hopeful to see him on the field against Utah.

The defense is continuing to improve game by game and it held Cougar quarterback Luke Falk to no passing touchdowns in Pullman.

If the quarterback, Rosen or Fafaul, can get the offense off to a strong start and limit turnovers, UCLA has a shot to stay in the game. Utah hasn’t been particularly impressive even though it is the top school in the division, and it is due for another upset, so I’m going UCLA by a field goal — 17-14.

Photo credit: Mackenzie Possee/Daily Bruin.

@kbrenneisen

@tueydam