UMFA Holiday Market & A&AH Holiday Sale: Supporting Local Artists

Photo credit to UMFA

The University is hosting two unique holiday venues to help you get into the festive spirit and add custom pieces to your shopping repertoire this month. The first is the annual Holiday Market at the UMFA Museum Store and the second is the Art & Art History Holiday Sale produced by the U’s Art Department.

Beginning in 2009, the UMFA Holiday Market initially started out as a trunk show to better showcase local artists already featured within the museum’s store. It has since become an annual tradition anticipated by all involved. The market not only includes unique and custom gifts but also live music, free gift wrapping and delicious holiday treats.

Some of the items available for sale include jewelry, textiles, art abstracts, Ukrainian eggs, cacao chocolate, pottery, ceramics, Utah landscapes, fused glass, home décor items, greeting cards and art books.

Everything featured within the Holiday Market is created by local artists who have been selected ahead of time. “In January I start looking for artists whose work I think will appeal to our shoppers,” said Mindy Wilson, UMFA’s Marketing & Communications Director.

The local artists bring variety and personality to the item selections.  “Shoppers will find new merchandise at the market every year. Some of the artists are new, and some are regulars who bring brand-new items each year,” said Store Manager, Carol Bigelow.

Students should take advantage of this once a year opportunity to buy local and affordable gifts. “The market features one-of-a-kind items—from handmade jewelry to gourmet chocolates –in all price ranges,” said Wilson.

The custom and personalized gifts featured at the market will enhance your holiday experience and gift giving, while also allowing you to support local work. Wilson agreed, explaining, “You can spend your money locally on a gift that both surprises [your] mom and connects her to your experience here at the U.”

In similar fashion, the Art & Art History Holiday Sale presents you with exclusively unique art created by fellow students, faculty and graduates at the U. This work is of good quality, according to Brian Snapp, Professor in the Department of Art & Art History and Area Head in Ceramics.

The Holiday Sale began over thirty years ago. Art & Art History students, through the sale, raise funds for art equipment, visiting artists and student attendance at the National Ceramic Educators Conference, which is held in different U.S. locations each year.

With pieces from multiple art forms, such as paintings, drawings, print photography, sculptures, graphic design, art education and ceramics, there is sure to be something all can enjoy and appreciate.

“All should attend and support student artists,” said Snapp. “There is nothing like having quality art in your life.”

The Holiday Sale is taking place December 5-8, 2016 all day and is located at the Gittins Gallery within the Art Building.

The Holiday Market is on Saturday, December 3, from 11am-5pm and is located at the Museum Store within UMFA.