Cara MacDonald

Christal Hazelton Talk

“The Things We Tell Our Children: A Look at LGBT+ in Children’s Animation” by Christal Hazelton will be presented on Tuesday, April 17 from 12-1 p.m. at the CTIHB building in the Jewel Box, Room 143. Hazelton’s talk is a critique of how LGBT+ stories in popular cartoons are heavily censored and less accessible. This presentation is part of the Work in Progress Talks which provide the opportunity for research fellows to show their work and receive feedback. The event is open to the public and a light lunch will be provided. Seating is limited and is on a first come first served basis. The talk is 40 minutes with a 20 minute Q&A. For more information or questions about this event, go online or contact John Boyack at 801-587-8879 or john.boyack@utah.edu.

Pause for Paws

De-stress and take a load off with registered therapy dogs from Therapy Animals of Utah at the College of Social Work building in the Social Work Atrium on Wednesday, April 18 from 11 a.m to 1 p.m. This is a great event to help students relax before finals and meet some cute dogs at the same time. Spending time with calm dogs can reduce heart rate, blood pressure, anxiety and stress levels. The event is free and open to the entire campus. For questions, contact Jennifer Nozawa at 801-585-9303 or jennifer.nozawa@socwk.utah.edu.

Candide

“Candide” by Leonard Bernstein will be presented by The Lyric Opera Ensemble and the Utah Philharmonia on Friday, April 20 and Saturday, April 21 at 7:30 p.m. at Kingsbury Hall. This performance will celebrate the composer’s centennial birthday and contains mature content, so children under 10 will not be permitted. “Candide” is the story of Candide’s journey with his sweetheart through a world filled with manipulative characters. Admission prices for this event vary. U students get in free with their UID, non-U students are $10 with a school ID, U faculty and staff save 10 percent with their UID and the general public is $20. Youth 18 and under are $10. Purchase tickets online or at Kingsbury Hall’s box office.

Workshops

Green Office Power Hour

April 17, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Gould Auditorium Marriott Library

Coffee with Cops

April 18, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Marriott Library

Lassonde End of Year Party

April 19, 2-5 p.m.

Lassonde Studios

Redfest

April 19, 6:30-9:30 p.m.

Union

Concerts

Classical Guitar Ensemble

April 17, 7:30 p.m.

Dumke Recital Hall

Symphonic Band

April 19, 7:30 p.m.

Libby Gardner Hall

Alina Hansen is a Writer for the Arts and Entertainment section for the Daily Utah Chronicle. She is a Senior at the University of Utah graduating in Spring 2018 with a Major in English and Minor in Writing and Rhetoric.