Senate approves entrepreneur minor

By Ryan Shelton, Asst. News Editor

U non-business major students interested in starting their own business might get an opportunity to receive valuable training on campus.

The U Academic Senate overwhelmingly passed a measure Sept. 8 to create an entrepreneurship minor program through the David Eccles School of Business.

The Board of Trustees must now approve the senate’s recommendation before the program can begin.

The business school currently offers entrepreneurship as a major.
Business professor William Schulze said the minor program would allow the school to open its doors to more students across campus.

“Students in the performing arts, therapists of all kinds and athletic trainers will really benefit from this program,” Schulze said. “We want to get people enrolled in a program that will teach students how to launch a business without hesitating because sometimes people don’t learn how to find out if their ideas are any good.”

The 18-credit-hour program would consist of four courses already offered in the major program and two finance courses.

Schulze said the school hopes to have the program running by January.

“Starting a business can be a very costly endeavor,” he said. “Education is often a substitute for experience. This program could save people a lot of hassle and money.”

The Academic Senate also approved a measure that would allow a student’s academic emphasis to appear on his or her transcript. Chuck Wight, associate vice president of academic affairs and undergraduate studies, said there are several colleges that would benefit from change.

“Sometimes employers need to know exactly what track you followed…to know what you specialized in,” Wight said. “Departments like the College of Education and Family and Consumer Studies have to write lengthy letters explaining a student’s emphasis within their program. This could really save a lot of time.”

The emphases would not appear on diplomas.
Becky Riley, executive assistant to the Board of Trustees, said the board will likely rule on the senate’s approval during their next meeting on Oct. 27.

“A lot of human resources employees looking to hire graduates don’t always know the difference between how schools name their programs, like our Teaching and Learning and Special Education programs,” said Susan Johnston, dean of the College of Education. “Adding a student’s emphasis will definitely make our transcripts more informative.”