Marriott Library reopens east doors

By Ryan Shelton, Asst. News Editor

The east entrance to the Marriott Library reopened Monday on the one-year anniversary of its closure.

Previously closed areas on the third and fourth floor, such as the Grand Reading Room, also opened to the public Monday.

The library’s west entrance, which has historically seen 70 percent of the building’s foot traffic, is set to close during Winter Break for seven months during the second and final stage of the library’s three-and-a-half-year, $80 million remodeling project. Library Facilities and Access Services Manager Ian Godfrey said an exact date for the west entrance closure hasn’t been decided yet.

The east entrance was originally scheduled to open Aug. 25, but state inspectors postponed the opening in late July. Godfrey said several factors led to the delay, including narrow bathroom stalls and too few exit lights on the third and fourth floors.

Construction began in 2005 and is scheduled to end with an elaborate rededication ceremony in September 2009.

Anna Kartashova

The Marriott Library?s east entrance reopened on Monday nearly two months later than the expected opening date.