Women encouraged to pursue careers

By Lana Groves, Asst. News Editor

To give female students at the U a glimpse into the career choices of professional women in Utah and why they chose to focus on their careers, the Bennion Community Service Center organized a forum bringing together women of all ages Saturday morning.

More than 40 women attended the second annual forum, held at the U Alumni House, to discuss their past careers and goals for the future.

June Hiatt, a junior in economics and sociology who helped organize the event, said hearing from so many different women who chose to “have it all,” was a great opportunity and encouraged her to pursue her own goals.

“It’s important to see that we don’t have to just be mothers and homemakers,” she said. “It’s okay to be a professor and a wife. It’s okay to work in the legislative branch and make your kids’ lunch every day.”

Kathryn Lindquist, lead organizer of the forum and a member of the Bennion Center’s advisory board, invited state senators, professors, company managers and several other politicians to share their experiences with female U students.

“For me, being a woman in Salt Lake City, it’s important to know there are women making important strides in the world,” Lindquist said.

Kim Wirthlin, U vice president of government relations, gave the keynote address and discussed how women should be prepared for any career path.

“I would never have guessed 15 years ago that I would be at the university in the position I’ve had,” she said. “For one thing, it didn’t used to exist.”

At the forum, women of all ages shared some of the experiences that led them to where they are, and how they balanced careers and family along the way.

Alex Griffin, a junior in linguistics, said she remembers talking to friends who planned to go to college, marry and then drop out to raise their family. She said she was confused as to why they had to drop out of school afterward.

“In 1970, an assertive female was seen as dysfunctional,” said Kari Ellingson, vice president of student affairs.

She said that today, it’s important for women and men to share responsibility in raising children, and she and her husband switch off changing diapers.

Katie Hobbs, a junior in exercise and sport science who also helped organize the event, said they were expecting more women to show up.

“I attended this event last year and really wanted to participate again,” she said. “Women like Roz McGee showed up who were actually alive to see (history) change its view toward women.”