ASUU appoints new directors

By Jeremy Thompson, Staff Writer

ASUU has announced the appointment of three new members to executive cabinet positions.

“We have had an exhaustive search to fill each of these positions, and as a result, have found the candidates that we feel will do the best job,” said Jon Hayes, vice president of the Associated Students of the University of Utah. “Each is uniquely qualified for their role, and will be directly beneficial to students.”

Marko Biljanic, a senior in political science, has been appointed as the new deputy chief of staff, replacing Pace Johnson, who is running for student body president with the GO Party. Biljanic was promoted from within ASUU after serving as associate director of the student advocacy board during Fall Semester.

Biljanic said his main goal for the upcoming semester is to coordinate the transition from the outgoing president to whomever is taking over. He also hopes that cooperation among different groups will help the U better serve students.

“I think that one of my main responsibilities is to promote unity and collaboration among the different boards,” Biljanic said. “By working together, we can help ASUU to be more efficient and more effective at representing students.”

Lauren Christensen, a senior in biology, has been appointed as the director of student outreach, replacing Tayler Clough, who is running for student body president with the Revolution Party. Last semester, Christensen served as president of the Panhellenic Council for Greek Row.

Christensen said she is hoping to get more students involved through an initiative known as “The Semester Of The Common Student.” She hopes the push will encourage more students to be involved on campus, including students who are traditionally underrepresented.

“We are looking to go to the far corners of campus to find the “regular’ student,” Christensen said. “The students that are not as involved in ASUU are just as important to a functioning student body. Hopefully, we can help their voice to be heard.”

Tori Ballif, a senior in history, has been appointed director of the academic affairs board, replacing Madson Thompson, who left ASUU to serve as president of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. Ballif works in the undergraduate studies office overseeing internationalization efforts and plans to continue working in both departments.

Ballif said she hopes to improve the communication that student advisory committees have with the ASUU senators in an attempt to increase their voice in the budgeting process. She hopes this will ensure that all students have greater access to funds, and as a result, more opportunities.

“Our goal is to help (students) realize what resources are out there and how they can take advantage of them,” Ballif said.

According to Redbook, the ASUU constitution, each new appointee must be approved by the Senate before officially beginning his or her responsibilities. Biljanic and Christensen will be presented at the ASUU Senate meeting tonight and Ballif will be presented in February for confirmation.