ASUU sustainability board pushes new initiative, fee

By Jeremy Thimpson, Staff Writer

The ASUU Sustainability Board is advocating for an increase in student fees to fund long-term projects that would help the U become a leader in environmental awareness and efficiency.

The board is requesting an increase of $5 in mandatory student fees to fund the Sustainable Campus Initiative. The project would be a way to help students and faculty receive money to conduct projects that would address the way the U impacts the environment.

The board has collected petitions with more than 1,500 signatures from students in support of the fee increase, as well as letters from faculty and staff indicating that they would support an initiative dealing with the U’s environmental impact.

“We are focusing on projects that can help in the long term,” said Dallas Hamilton, associate director of the board. “By using the money we receive from the fee increases, we can fund projects that will reduce our overall environmental impact and eventually save the U money.”

Hamilton said the increase in student fees would be used to fund student-led projects in two ways. Seventy percent of the money collected would be used as part of a revolving loan fund. It will target projects that can eventually provide a return on the money that is initially invested. This return will then be put back into the loan fund, providing a continual stream of capital to fund additional projects.

The other 30 percent of collected money will be put into a student initiative fund. This fund would be used to sponsor projects that would not be expected to repay the initial investment, but would still have lasting impacts on the environment.

Associated Students of the University of Utah Vice President Jon Hayes said most of the feedback he has received seems to be in support of the proposal.

“Once students understand the proposal and how it works, most are excited about the program,” Hayes said. “Although it may be difficult to start, it will be worth it in the long run.”

The biggest roadblock in the process appears to be the increase of fees. With students already seeing a large increase in tuition, any increase in spending is understandably met with concern, Hayes said.

He also said students have expressed some concern about the way the board would be held accountable for the usage of money.

Mandy Meredith-Dunlop, a graduate student in history, said she felt the small increase in fees is justified if it helps the U achieve measurable progress.

“I think that $5 is not a big deal,” she said. “If we could have projects such as more recycling or maybe eventually utilizing resources such as solar panels, a small increase in fees is worth it.”

The initiative will be presented to ASUU legislators tonight in a meeting designed to address some of the concerns the board will face. A public meeting will be held Feb. 19 in the Union Theatre.

Hamilton said he hopes the public will attend and add any input.

“We have some work left, but we are making progress,” he said. “We are looking to change the way the community thinks. We want to change the way that government and businesses operate. Any change like that will take time, but it is possible.”