Parties plan community outreach programs

By Jeremy Thompson, Staff Writer

Although all three parties running in ASUU elections acknowledge the importance of reaching out and building bridges to organizations outside campus, each party has a different idea on how make it a reality.

The Revolution Party hopes to extend the reach of the U into local schools, helping to recruit potential students and increase campus visibility.

The group would like to start a pilot program in three local junior high schools and three high schools that would target students thinking about going to college, specifically at the U.

“We want students to invest in the future of the university,” said Tayler Clough, presidential candidate for the Revolution Party.

The program would partner with campus organizations such as the Bennion Community Service Center and the greeks. The program would utilize input from people such as Linda Dunn, director of the Bennion Center, and Sabrina King, student president of the center, allowing the initiative to take advantage of existing organizations.

The initiative would encourage one-on-one mentoring between U students and potential U students to make the goal of attending college more realistic.

Mentors would work to keep students on track to qualify for university admissions standards as well as ease the social adjustment to higher education. Mentors would be volunteers, meaning no outside funding would be required to make the program work. Mentors would also work to educate people about opportunities at the U for financial aid and involvement avenues available to incoming students. Tutoring, provided free of charge, would also be a part of the program.

The Synergy Party wants to impact the community by helping train leaders who can make a difference on campus.

Clint Hugie, the party’s presidential nominee, said the economic downturn could turn into an opportunity for the U. He said that during times of trouble, people see education as a way to improve their situation.

The party hopes to help limit the cost of education by lobbying the Utah Legislature to not increase tuition, though tuition increases by small percentages every year. Hugie said he hopes this will encourage students to enroll because they could still afford to go to school. The trained leaders would then go into the community to improve relationships, both at the U and in the city.

Hugie said he hopes student input will help state leaders see that education is the way out of the present economic situation.

“They’ve listened to us in the past,” Hugie said. “They will listen to their constituents in the future.”

The GO Party hopes to unite groups inside and outside the campus to build bridges among community leaders.

Pace Johnson, the party’s presidential candidate, pointed out that the U enjoys favorable interactions with local community and state leaders, such as Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr.

Johnson said his party’s candidates spoke with Huntsman, who said he would meet with student government leaders at any time.

The group also hopes that the Associated Students of the University of Utah will provide a link to community groups to lobby for student issues at the Legislature. Jeff Sbaih, the party’s vice presidential candidate, said by uniting with community groups, initiatives that benefit everyone can be passed.

Sbaih cited examples such as issues regarding undocumented students or drunk driving that have direct impacts on and off campus. By uniting with community groups, the influence of the U can be expanded.

The party proposes utilizing the ASUU Web site to link organizations together, similar to a social networking site, which would allow student groups to see what is going on in other groups and coordinate activities. These coalitions could then branch into the greater community.