Students sign up to dance for cancer research

By Kassidy Mather, Staff Writer

Priscilla Hansen is ready to dust off her dancing shoes as the third annual Rock the U dance marathon is coming up in March.

Hansen, a senior in behavioral sciences and health, and communication sciences and disorders, said she raised about $1,000 for cancer research last year and hopes to match that amount this time.

“A lot of friends and family were really generous last year, and so I’m hoping they will be generous again this year,” she said.

For 26.2 hours from March 27 to March 29, participants in the marathon, sponsored by the Associated Students of the University of Utah, will dance, play games, eat and dance some more to help support cancer research. To participate in the program, students need to raise at least $50, a significant decrease from last year’s $200 minimum.

Engelby said that ASUU has the goal of raising $100,000 for the Huntsman Cancer Foundation with this year’s dance marathon, which would be up from the $70,500 raised last year. The Rock the U board is working to recruit more students to participate in the event and bring in more money in donations.

When students register for the marathon online, they are given their own fundraising page, which they can personalize with a picture and a message explaining why they are participating in Rock the U. Friends and family can visit the page online and donate with a credit or debit card.

Participants can approach businesses for donations as well.

“Every dollar goes directly to research projects,” said Kirsten Engelby, director of this year’s Rock the U program. “Nothing pays for the electric bill at Huntsman Cancer Institute or anybody’s salaries. It all (goes) to research.”

Engelby said Rock the U is encouraging participants to stay on their feet the entire 26.2 hours to symbolize a cancer patient’s physical and emotional struggle.

“It’s nothing compared to what it would be like if you were going through chemotherapy or radiation or anything like that,” Engelby said. “This is just like a little taste of that.”

Hansen said she is dancing to honor her grandmother, who was diagnosed with breast cancer, as well as many others. She is taking on the challenge to stay on her feet the entire time.

“I’ll bring slippers this year,” she said.

Student Body President Patrick Reimherr plans to dance the entire time as well.

“I’m dancing 26.2 hours. Every minute,” Reimherr said. “It may be bad dancing, but every minute.”

The top fundraiser can win donated prizes, including a Wii, Rock Band and a Utah Football helmet. ASUU will also recognize a “king” and “queen” of Rock the U for the most spirit and enthusiasm.

“This is a great way to honor the memory of someone who’s (had) cancer, or you can do it in support of someone who’s currently fighting cancer, and I think that’s one of the greatest motivators for people who’ve participated in the past,” Engelby said. “(Rock the U) isn’t about dancing for 26.2 hours, it’s about being a part of something that’s bigger than yourself.”

Students can register by going to www.rocktheu.utah.edu or by going directly to www.active.com/donate/rocktheu09. They can also stop by the ASUU office in the Union.

Interested donors can mail cash or checks to the Huntsman Cancer Foundation.