Meteorology department changes name

By Jeremy Thompson, Staff Writer

The meteorology department’s name is so last week.

Instead, the department will now be known as the department of atmospheric sciences.

“We did this because most people think of weather when they hear the term meteorology,” said Jim Steenburgh, professor in the College of Mine and Earth Sciences. “Over the last decade, our research and focus has turned toward climate research. This name change reflects that focus more closely, and more clearly conveys our research interests.”

Steenburgh said the department has about 100 undergraduate and 35 graduate students, though he expects those numbers to rise.

“I think the biggest change will be in the quality of graduate students we can compete for,” Steenburgh said. “We have already seen an increase in undergraduate interest with the name change. Hopefully that will continue at the graduate level.”

The change was approved by the Board of Regents during its meeting last Friday.

“There was not much discussion,” said Basim Motiwala, student representative for the Board of Regents. “Typically when name changes are presented to us, there is no problem. That was true in this case.”

The name change has already taken effect.

Jeremy Thompson