Women look to reverse slide

By Christopher Kamrani, Asst. Sports Editor

The Utah tennis team is looking to reverse its fortunes.

This week’s Mountain West Conference Championships could work marvels for a team that is on a six-game slide, including five straight losses to fellow MWC squads.

The No. 67 Utah women’s tennis team (9-12, 3-5 MWC) heads to Albuquerque, N.M., as the No. 6 seed this week to partake in the MWC Championship Tournament.

The Utes are pitted against their most recent opponent, the San Diego State Aztecs, who bested Utah 5-2 on April 18 in Las Vegas. The Aztecs (17-7, 6-2 MWC) are ranked No. 41 in the nation and are the No. 3 seed in the tournament.

“We are very much looking forward to our rematch with SDSU,” said head coach Mat Iandolo in a statement. “The individual match-ups are going to be different, but I feel that it is still going to be a very competitive match.”

Utah finished the season a bit stronger last season, finishing up as the No. 4 seed before bouncing rival BYU, the No. 5 seed a year ago, out of the tournament in the quarterfinals before being ousted by the top-seeded TCU Horned Frogs in the semifinals.

This year’s quarterfinals matchup against the Aztecs will begin this Thursday at 10 a.m.
If the Utes beat SDSU, they will move on to face the winner of the TCU-Colorado State matchup on April 24.

Tyler Cobb

Erin Monson and the Utah tennis team look to reverse this season?s losing record at the Mountain West Conference Championships starting Thursday.