Women?s tennis gets two titles, 14 wins at Air Force Invitational

By Liz Frome , Staff writer

The women’s tennis team had another strong tournament performance this weekend, as sophomores Missy Harris and Lexi Provancha snatched the titles in the flight-C and flight-F competitions, respectively.

Both Utes claimed their wins against Harvard athletes. Harris dominated her match against Samantha Rosecrans 6-2, 6-0, and Provancha defeated Agnes Sibilski 7-5, 6-0.

Five players competed for the Utes in the Air Force Academy Invitational, and the team left Colorado Springs with the two titles and 14 combined wins.

Junior Andrea Maughan defeated Colorado’s Ania Anuszkiewicz 6-3, 6-3, in the final round of the flight-E consolation bracket Sunday, after losing to Julia Metzger of Oregon in the second round of competition.

In the flight-A consolation match, Utah junior Evgenia Kryuchkova lost to Sophia Bergner of Denver. She received a bye in the first round, and slid past Air Force’s Katrina Eromin in the second. She lost in the third round to Harvard’s Holly Cao to play Bergner in the consolation round.

In the flight-B consolation match, senior Erin Monson lost to Air Force’s Melissa Cecil. The consolation defeat came after a loss to Harvard’s Hideko Tachibana in the third round. Monson also received a first-round bye and pulled out a win over Trudie du Toit of Oregon in the second round.

Both Kryuchkova and Monson claimed victories in their doubles consolation matches.
Kryuchkova and Harris won the No. 2 doubles consolation match against Colorado State’s Tori Arneson and Melissa Holzinger, 8-4. Monson, with fellow senior Andrea Maughan, played in the No. 1 doubles consolation match against Tachibana and Rosekrans and also came away with a win.