Football: Utes work to fill defense positions

Utah’s defensive line practicing during the first week of camp. With the departure of many experienced linemen from last season, Utah’s coaches are looking for suitable replacements. Chad Zavala / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Utah’s defensive line practicing during the first week of camp. With the departure of many experienced linemen from last season, Utah’s coaches are looking for suitable replacements.
Chad Zavala / The Daily Utah Chronicle

One of the major topics at spring camp is how Utah is going to replace the bulk of its defense, as it lost numerous players to graduation. With a great deal of competition already occurring, the Utes are hoping to soon find suitable replacements for those who have left.
“Competition is something coaches are always encouraging,” said senior safety Brian Blechen. “A lot of guys have been competing and making plays on both sides of the ball.”
During the first week of camp, head coach Kyle Whittingham said Utah’s most pressing need is at cornerback. While Utah had great depth there last year, Ryan Lacy, Mo Lee and Reggie Topps are gone, and Whittingham is looking for strong candidates to replace them.
“That’s the area on the football team with the least amount of starting experience,” Whittingham said.
The frontrunners so far are senior Keith McGill and redshirt freshman Justin Thomas. McGill was originally a safety, but missed the majority of the last two seasons after suffering a shoulder injury in 2011.
“It’s good to have Keith back,” Whittingham said. “Most teams in this conference have a big receiver or two. His length at corner gives us the ability to match up.”
Utah’s other major need is on the defensive line. With the unexpected departure of right defensive end Joe Kruger, Trevor Reilly has been moved from linebacker to defensive end.
The defensive tackles are the next spot to fill, though some of them have not participated in camp because of injuries. Whittingham said having injured players gives others a chance to see what they can contribute.
“This is a great opportunity for LT Tuipulotu and Stevie Tu’ikolovatu,” Whittingham said. “Stevie is doing a fantastic job. [We’re] very impressed with him.”
Utah offense looks crisp and fast
Utah’s quarterbacks have all shown great improvement in running the new up-tempo offense.
“It was a lot better than it was [last practice],” said co-offensive coordinator Dennis Erickson on Saturday. “[Practice] moved at a pretty fast pace. I thought the quarterbacks were outstanding today. Adam and Travis both really executed very well.”
In the Utes’ previous practice, Erickson and co-offensive coordinator Brian Johnson decided they had added too many plays, which led to an inefficient practice. Receivers have struggled with catching the football even though the quarterbacks have thrown it their way.
“All three have thrown the ball very well, especially [Adam] Schulz and [Travis] Wilson,” Whittingham said of the quarterbacks. “Their hard work in the offseason is paying off. [Brandon Cox] is making few mistakes mentally [but] he has really grasped the offense since he’s been with us.”
With freshmen Conner Manning and Micah Thomas set to come in the fall, the quarterback position is shaping up to be both young and deep with talent. The pair will most likely redshirt in their first year on campus.
Utah looking for kicking game
With Nick Marsh having transferred to Rutgers, Utah is looking for a new starting kicker. The competition is between sophomore Andy Phillips and freshman Jamie Sutcliffe. They have been listed as co-starters but neither has any college game experience.