Fro-yo benefits cancer research

Senior Sarah Baughn and graduate student Marjoris Regus volunteer at Ugurt during a Rock the U fundraiser Tuesday evening. Photo by Brent Uberty.

While Rock the U’s all-night dance marathon is not until Friday, “Rock the Ugurt” had students jumping for frozen yogurt Tuesday evening.
The fro-yo benefit night is one of many events hosted this week by ASUU’s philanthropy organization, the Rock the U Board. For every bowl of frozen yogurt purchased by a customer who mentioned Rock the U, 20 percent of the total was donated by Ugurt to support research at the Huntsman Cancer Institute.
Although many students were there to support the cause, a few were unaware of Rock the U’s mission. Dani Stevens, a senior in anthropology, attended the event to have dessert with her friends Alexis Lee, a junior in exercise and sport science, and Lindsey Wright, a senior in anthropology.
Wright volunteered at the main event last year, and Lee, although not attending the event on Friday, was happy to be able to support Rock the U in such a “delicious” way.
For Adam Tuero, the frozen yogurt shop was a sweet spot to host the benefit. Tuero, a senior in psychology and a member of the ASUU office staff, said Ugurt has partnered with student groups from the U before and was a good choice because “everyone likes fro-yo on a Tuesday night.”
While the board did not have a particular amount they were hoping to gain from the yogurt benefit, the proceeds from any of the events throughout the year go toward their goal of $50,000. Most of the proceeds will come directly from the dance-a-thon on Friday, where participants pay a $10 registration fee.
The 12-hour marathon starts at 7 p.m. in the Union Ballroom on Friday. Marjoris Regus, a graduate student in music and associate director of the Rock the U Board, is planning on dancing all 12 hours.
“It’s the biggest event of the year,” Regus said.
On Tuesday Regus showed her support by enjoying a bowl of her favorite fro-yo: “Vanilla, with a million toppings.