University Supports Students Through the Winter Blues

Kiffer Creveling
(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)

(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)
(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)

The weather outside may be dreary, but there’s no direct correlation between an increase in student dropouts and the winter weather.
The change in seasons can cause some students to feel depressed, generally diagnosed as seasonal affective disorder. Utah’s cold climate can lead to this, but Mary Parker, associate vice president of enrollment management, said her department hopes to support students who may be inclined to drop out now or any other time of the year.
“We reach out to let them know that we are here to support them, get them into advising and help them,” she said. “There’s a real focus on doing that upfront.”
She said while winter blues may not be the sole cause of dropouts, the short break can help university administrators encourage students to stay in school.
“It’s a shorter break in the winter than over the summer, so it’s easier for us to identify the main issue and help the student decide to stay in school, if that is right for them,” Parker said. “It has everything to do with personal reasons.”
For Lauren Martucci, an undeclared sophomore, being able to ski in the winter is one of her reasons for staying, but it doesn’t always compensate for depression caused by cold weather.
“In the winter, I do tend to cuddle up in blankets with hot chocolate and Netflix, and homework gets pushed aside,” she said. “If it is nice out, I feel like I can do something and I have a desire to go outside.”
According to health.com, there are a couple ways to stay motivated throughout the winter months. Because of the cold temperatures, people tend to exercise less, but staying fit helps your body create more positive chemicals and can lead to feeling less depressed. Money is also a concern during the holiday season, so plan a budget to decrease that stress.
For Martucci, the best remedy for the winter blues is her social life.
“The best way to handle the winter is to call up your friends and either go out or plan a day where you spend it inside,” she said. “Friends are my support for the winter.”
@JulianneSkrivan