HRE Hosts Coffee Sampling for Students to Decide Lassonde Studios Coffee Brand

Back to Article
Back to Article

Crimson Corner at the HC, Friday, April 1st, 2016, Peter Creveling Daily Utah Chronicle

Student taste buds united on March 30 at the Peterson Heritage Center to choose the coffee provider for the new Lassonde Studios dorms.

Millcreek Coffee, Douglas Roasters and Rimini were the three contenders, with students being able to taste a sample of each and provide feedback. Housing and Residential Education director Barb Remsburg said the U aims to utilize student input in all initiatives — even beverages.

“Students have been engaged in Lassonde Studios throughout the project, and it is not going to stop at coffee,” she said.

It’s too soon to tell which coffee prevailed, but Remsburg said results are currently being reviewed. The Lassonde Institute, Housing and Residential Education and University Dining Services will make a decision in the next two weeks.

About 30 students attended the tasting, said Dallas Balzly, retail director for Dining Services.

Both Remsburg and Balzly said they have no preference after tasting all three coffees but added that their opinion should play no part in deciding which coffee will be sold to students at the Lassonde Studios.

Remsburg said: “I want to make sure that we go with the one that they liked best.”

@katie_ buda