Hinckley Intern Returns From D.C. with Plans to Help Latino Community

After completing an internship in Washington D.C., Ciria Alvarez is on track to make a difference in the world.

Last spring, Alvarez spent the semester working as a Hinckley Institute of Politics intern with a Latino lobbying firm called Ibarra Strategy Group. She also worked closely with the non-profit group, Latino Leaders Network.

During her time in D.C., Alvarez helped with the organization’s six events by attending, assisting with planning and performing clerical duties, including things such as completing RSVPs and invitations. She has helped plan and attended five events, including luncheons during the Republican and Democratic conventions. She even met former Republican candidate, Ben Carson. In the next few weeks, she will fly to Los Angeles for the next event.

The most important thing she learned during the internship was to pay attention to detail.

“It’s something I’ve carried on with me from the internship — being detail oriented in everything I do — looking at an event from the big picture.”

During the internship, she realized how important Latino officials are at the federal level. At the events, she was able to meet and network with several prestigious Latino political leaders.

“In DC — working and seeing Latino officials at the federal level shows that we aren’t just grassroots — we have political power and leverage … especially as the Latino community grows. I think it only has made my drive to help the Latino community — after seeing the work being done in DC.”

Alvarez is double majoring in Political Science and Sociology and will graduate next spring. She has plans to go to law school and become a civil rights attorney. If she can, she wants to work for the Department of Justice or Education, and may return to D.C.

After completing the internship, Alvarez realized how much she loved non-profit organizations and would like to start her own. She wants the focus of her non-profit to be on educating young students of color. Currently, she works part-time with the Gear-Up program, helping underrepresented and first generation students of color at East High School. Alvarez is an undocumented student herself and realizes the hardships that students of color experience.

“Being undocumented, it was a lot different, just because there is a lot of uncertainty whether you’ll go to college or not. In my case, the attitude is, ‘I’m going to be so good that they can’t say no.’ [I recommend] to do as much as you can and everything you can [to get into college].”

And Alvarez did everything she could in high school to get into the U. She was a member of HOSA and FCCLA, participated in the math/engineering program, was senior class president, took AP and honors classes and volunteered for her local food pantry.

Throughout her various life endeavors, Alvarez has learned the importance of hard work and following her dreams. She encourages young people to follow their passions.

“Go out and do something; whatever you’re passionate about, just follow it. I think a lot of people stop themselves short from following their passions because they’re not going to get something, like getting a degree or job.”

@TheRachEF