Women’s Basketball Tops No. 6 Stanford in Historic Weekend

Cass Palor
NIYAH BECKER (3) shoots and makes it as The University of Utah Lady Utes take on Brigham Young University at the Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, UT on Saturaday, Dec. 8, 2018 (Photo by Cassandra Palor | Daily Utah Chronicle)

On a bright Sunday afternoon in Salt Lake City, the University of Utah women’s basketball team made program history in the Jon M. Huntsman Center after taking their first ever win against No. 6 Stanford.

“I am so proud of our team because we just continue to chip away,” said head coach Lynne Roberts. “I think this win is so big because of who Stanford is and what they’ve done. I think that Tara VanDerveer is the greatest of all time and I have so much respect for her, her staff and their program. So, that is what makes this win so big because you are beating the greatest. It is humbling and exciting.”

The Utes took their win against Stanford 75-68. The Utes held Stanford to 38 percent shooting while they shot 43 percent from the floor and 45 percent from the three.

Senior guard Erika Bean had an outstanding game against Stanford, setting a career-high of 23 points. Senior forward Megan Huff also had a phenomenal game reaching her 10th double-double of the season with 17 points and 13 rebounds.

“It was a great team win, a great program win,” Roberts said. “These players just continue to play their tails off. They have really bought into this program and it has been a lot of fun.”

Earlier this weekend on Jan. 25, the Utes took a 87-74 win against the California Golden Bears. Utah shot 52 percent from the floor with Huff leading the Utes with 24 points.

“Cal is good, they are an NCAA Tournament team and they have a tremendous player in Kristine Anigwe,” Roberts said. “I felt like we kept everyone else in check. We shot the ball well and we kind of opened that gap and they really couldn’t get closer than nine or eight in the second half because we just kept answering. I am so proud of our team.”

After defeating the Cal Bears and making program history by defeating No. 6 Stanford, the Utes have improved to 18-1 overall and 7-1 in Pac-12 play.

The Utes are now looking forward to a weekend away in Oregon for games against the University of Oregon on Friday, Feb. 1, at 8 p.m. MT and Oregon State on Sunday, Feb. 3, at 1 p.m. MT.

@LeilaniGastelum