Complete 2019 ASUU Election Victories: Barnes Ticket and More

VP of Student Relations Gabe Martinez, President AnnaMarie Barnes, and VP of University Relations Latifa Yaqoobi (Courtesy of Barnes Ticket)

The results of the 2019-2020 Associated Students of the University of Utah (ASUU) student government elections are officially in. The Barnes Ticket party came out victorious in the election for ASUU president and vice presidents. Anna Barnes will serve as student body president, while Latifa Yaqoobi will serve as vice president of university relations and Gabe Martinez will serve as vice president of student relations.

This year, 2,532 students cast their vote, with seniors at the U making up 24 percent of the voters. The 2019 Elections Results provides a demographic breakdown of all voters. As the only presidential ticket on the ballot, the Barnes Ticket won with 85 percent of the total vote.

In a post by Barnes, she stated, “I am so grateful for these people and I am so grateful for this opportunity. I have loved serving the students of the University of Utah for the past three years, and I am humbled and excited to be able to do so as Student Body President.” Barnes continued by writing, “Latifa, Gabe and I have dedicated so much time over the past year organizing and executing this campaign. I thought I would be relieved when it was over, but I really can’t wait to get to work.”

“Thank you to those that believed in us and supported us, and thank you to the University of Utah students that elected us. Our campaign was for you and our administration will be for you.”

Seodam Kwak was elected as attorney general with 82 percent of the total vote. Kwak also ran uncontested this year.

Each of the colleges is represented by a senator and assembly representatives. The number of assembly representatives for each college is determined by the number of students enrolled in a particular college as of Fall 2018.

The results for both senate and assembly elections are as follows:

In the College of Architecture and Planning, Varum Selvam won the senator position with no one filing candidacy for the assembly position.

The senate race in the David Eccles School of Business was very close with Damon Ngo winning the seat by two votes. The assembly representatives are Ashley Jimenez, Emily Pellegrino, Nolan Phan and Peyton Williams.

In the College of Cultural and Social Transformation, Sierra Holmes was elected as senator. The assembly representative is Amanda Carrasco.

The elected senator for the School of Dentistry is Emily Thomas. Kaleb (KC) Esplin was elected as the assembly representative.

For the College of Education, the elected senator is Danielle Martinez. There were no candidates for the assembly position in the College of Education.

The race for the College of Engineering senate seat was another close one, with Hunter Mansfield coming out ahead by seven votes. The assembly representatives are Avery Abelhouzen, Anika Isom, Mitchell Kirkham, Erin Morgan and Adrian Porras.

Sophomore Erin Morgan said, “I am excited and grateful to have been re-elected for Assembly for College of Engineering. In my past year in ASUU, I have learned the importance of supporting and representing students and our 500+ student groups on campus, and I look forward to affecting more positive change on campus next year!”

The elected senator for the College of Fine Arts is Amy Cox. The assembly representatives are Owen Michael Jordan Migdal and Gabriel Misla.

The Assembly representatives for the College of Health are Casey McFarland and Joshua Nguyen.

For the College of Humanities, the assembly representatives are Puneet Singh and Jennifer Williams.

For the S.J. Quinney College of Law, the elected senator is Ben Lehnardt.

For the School of Medicine, the elected senator is Mariajose Velasco.

Alan Abbinanti is the elected senator for the College of Pharmacy. The assembly representative is Mustafa Tekarli.

In the College of Science, Rebecca Hardenbrook won the senator position. The assembly representatives are MJ Kim, Rory Phibbs and Zahra Saifee.

MJ Kim, a first-year majoring in psychology, said, “I’m just really grateful that I have this opportunity to represent the students of the U. I will give all that I can to help our school and our students grow. I’m really looking forward to it.”

For the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, the senator is Devon Cantwell. The Assembly representatives are Darienne DeBrule, Sarah Hong, Kendall Smith-Williams and Taylor Thompson.

“As Senator of CSBS, I am looking forward to continuing to advocate for first-generation students and students of color in our college through providing enriching workshops,” Cantwell said. “I’m also excited to get the Graduate Assembly up and running as well as protect student voice in the RPT process, improve IPV/DV training and resources on campus and continue to make opportunities like travel to conferences and workshops more affordable for students”

For the College of Social Work, the assembly representative is Emma C. Hicks.

Finally, for Undergraduate Studies, the senator is Connor Leeming. The assembly representatives are Ermiya Fanaeian, Lauren Sorge and Reagan Sorge.

Senate and assembly seats are still open in several colleges following the 2019 ASUU election. If you have a desire to fill a vacant seat in your college, contact [email protected].

@MandilynJohans1