The U’s Tuition Reduction Rule Change, Explained

Jeff Herring, chief human resources officer for the U, said the reason for the change is “to be more efficient in allocating money towards salary, student success and research.”
Luke Larsen
Dylan Ramos, a University of Utah student, engages with an employee in the financial aid office at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City on Monday, Oct.2, 2023. (Photo by Luke Larsen | The Daily Chronicle)

In fall 2024, graduate students at the University of Utah will no longer be eligible for a differential tuition reduction.

Differential tuition is an extra cost, beyond regular tuition. These fees mostly applies to graduate students as well as some professional degrees.

While not many graduate schools have differential tuition, the U includes the cost to fund research and create the best environment for students to learn.

Jeff Herring, chief human resources officer for the U, explained the reasons for getting rid of the reduction. He said that while differential tuition can get pricey, the extra money will be used to better achieve the academic mission of the university.

“The reason for the change is to be more efficient in allocating money towards salary, student success and research,” he said. “It will also be used in helping outliers achieve success.”

Herring also said the U is aware of the financial situation of many students. He said the school will help out to the best of its ability by providing scholarships and other financial services.

Despite the change to graduate differential tuition, reduction eligibility will stay consistent for base tuition in undergraduate courses, mandatory student fees and differential tuition for undergraduate programs.

Additionally, student employees will still receive a 50% reduction to base tuition for graduate school. Applications for tuition reduction for University Campus and Academic Health Sciences employees can be found on the UBenefits page.

“If you’re an employee and have base tuition for graduate school, that is still 50%,” Herring said. “If you’re an undergraduate, it’s still 50% for both the base and the differential tuition.”

A second change to tuition eligibility applies to the children of employees who have worked at the university for three years or more. Whether married or single, these children remain eligible for a tuition reduction until age 26.

“I didn’t know about the 50% reduction for employees and their spouses,” said Josh Pearce, a neuroscience major at Brigham Young University planning to apply to medical school after graduation. “That benefit definitely moves the University of Utah up on my list of med schools to apply to.”

Additionally, Pearce explained why the university’s commitment to academics makes the school one of his top choices.

“I grew up in Utah,” he said. “I’ve always heard about the U’s med school and the awesome research they are doing. They are committed to their students and to their research, and that is why the U is one of my dream schools.”

For graduate students planning to enroll in the spring or summer semester 2024, a reduction to differential tuition will still be available through the legacy benefit.

Furthermore, for students worried about the tuition reduction rule change, the new rule does not apply to the tuition benefit program. Those who qualify for the Tuition Benefit Program are still eligible for tuition reduction in both differential and base tuition.

The TBP applies to graduate teaching assistants, graduate assistants, research assistants and graduate fellows who fulfill the requirements.

Pearce said the university’s dedication to both students and research is rare to find in graduate schools. He said those two factors have greatly contributed to his desire to apply for the U’s med school.

“As a candidate for graduate school, I’m always searching for a program that provides opportunities for reduced tuition cost,” Pearce said. “But I’m also looking for a school committed to its research and environment. The U is committed towards strengthening both of these areas, and that is why it’s one of my dream schools.”

@jamie_k_faux

Jamie Faux
Jamie Faux, News Writer
(she/her) Jamie Faux began as a news reporter at the Daily Utah Chronicle in the summer of 2023. She is a double major in English and finance at the University of Utah with the goal of becoming an author after graduation. Jamie grew up in Provo and enjoys outdoor sports, reading, and traveling.
Luke Larsen
Luke Larsen, Photographer
(he/him) Luke started at the Chronicle in the fall of 2023. He is currently studying anthropology. He has worked as a professional portrait photographer since 2021 in Waco, Texas, where he has lived for the past ten years. He is originally from Los Angeles, California and loves Dim Sum.

• J

Justin HudakOct 3, 2023 at 9:14 am

Respectfully, this is completely transparent and we can put as much lipstick on a pig as we want, but it is for the U to reduce benefits to employees to make more profits. Simple as.