Editorial: Stand with Palestine, Now and Forever

Resist the expectation to hide behind so-called neutrality and to be complicit in the Western colonial propaganda that is fueling a genocide.
Luke Larsen
Pro-Palestine demonstrators organize in front of the Utah State Capitol in Salt Lake City during the Stand for Palestine Rally on Oct. 21, 2023. (Photo by Luke Larsen | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

A little over a month ago, global media doubled down on its coverage of Israel and Palestine. The biased coverage of Hamas’ retaliation against an occupying force renewed debates surrounding anti-Palestinian rhetoric and human rights.

The student journalists on the editorial board at the Daily Utah Chronicle stand unequivocally with Palestine. We resist the expectation to hide behind so-called neutrality and to be complicit in the Western colonial propaganda that fuels the genocide of Palestinians.

Call It What It Is

The persistent framing of the issue as an equal fight must be challenged. The West has legitimized Israel’s declaration of war on Hamas and allowed Israel to position itself as a victim of terrorism. Israel’s self-victimization aims to conceal its continuing 75-year-long genocide of Palestinians.

To call the situation a war disregards the unequal footing between one of the world’s biggest militaries and the people suffering under the apartheid it has enforced. The UN-sanctioned 1948 Nakba ethnically cleansed 750,000 Palestinians through massacres, land theft and destruction of homes. Since then, the settler state of Israel has continued to enact violence and murder on Indigenous Palestinians.

As the Palestinian death toll following Oct. 7 rapidly nears 12,000, Israel grows its list of war crimes in tandem. In the last month, Israel has dropped 25,000 tons of explosives on Gaza targeting the 2 million civilians forced into an area the size of Washington D.C. These civilians — bombed in their homes, hospitals, schools and even refugee camps — have little aid, escape or refuge. Israel’s blockade restricts or fully cuts off access to electricity, water, food, communications and humanitarian aid.

Knowing this, we must in no uncertain terms condemn Israel’s disgusting, inhumane actions. We reject the portrayal of Israel’s indescribable cruelty and the Palestinian suffering it creates as a war or conflict. This is a genocide, full stop, and our government is largely to blame.

The U.S. is Complicit

The U.S. sanctions this ethnic cleansing, continuing its involvement in the creation and maintenance of the Israeli settler state. Since 1951, our tax dollars have supplied Israel with more than $260 billion, with plans for additional billions in the works. Beyond financial aid, the U.S. supplies Israel with mass shipments of weaponry and military aid. It has even supplied white phosphorus, the chemical Israel illegally used in civilian areas.

The U.S. directly enables and protects Israel’s endless crimes against humanity. It politically strong-arms the rest of the world into supporting Israel, even vetoing the UN Security Council’s ceasefire resolution, claiming it didn’t acknowledge Israel’s right to self-defense. The only people in need of self-defense in this situation are Palestinians, the ones at Israel’s mercy. But, of course, the U.S. stands with its fellow colonial power, further proven by Congress’s shameful censuring of Rep. Rashida Tlaib for defending Palestinian life.

The people will not be silenced. And we certainly won’t allow our government to use our resources to help Israel commit genocide.

‘Neutrality’ is the Stance of the Oppressors  

On Oct. 20, Mecha de U of U organized an event where over 200 students rallied in support of Palestine and criticized centrist stances. University leadership did not speak at the event.

Yet at a vigil for Israel, President Taylor Randall had no issue coming forward to speak. The U has attempted to distance itself from the issue by playing both sides. It released a reductive statement that propped up the issue as one that warrants respecting “differences of opinion,” but we see through it.

While nothing new, the U’s blatant disregard for its Black and Brown students is especially telling with this conflict.

“All of this is under the guise of protecting Jewish students,” said a Mecha organizer who requested anonymity due to the U’s response to the event. “There are many Jewish students who stand with Palestine and who showed up at the rally and are not allowing this genocide to be done in their name. And it’s gross that the university exploits.”

The same fake concern that hypocritically harms Jewish people goes beyond university spaces. Maintaining “neutrality” in the name of antisemitism conflates Judaism with Zionism and silences the voices of Jewish people who fight for Palestinian liberation.

The falsity of this concern shines through with the hundreds of arrests of Jewish activists at protests across the country in opposition to Israel’s genocide of Palestinians. Hundreds of thousands of people have marched in cities spanning from Los Angeles to Washington D.C., yet we see little coverage of such events. Instead, we’ve seen the death of journalistic integrity as U.S. journalists spread shameful, racialized propaganda.

The Salt Lake Tribune Editorial Board stated that the actions of Hamas may have done the Palestinian cause “horrible, perhaps irreparable, damage.” Yet Israel’s violent occupation of Palestinian land and the subsequent, public genocide of its Indigenous people has not caused the state “horrible, perhaps irreparable, damage.” 11,000 deaths have not shaken the Western media’s unrelenting support.

Stand Proud for Palestine 

Many people have lost their jobs over their solidarity with Palestinians. Universities have expelled students and publications have fired journalists. Backlash runs rampant.

But as Israel continues to kill Palestinian journalists and create impossible conditions for reporting in Gaza, our work as U.S. journalists and our responsibility to the truth becomes even more important.

In the words of Mecha’s organizer, “We are literally in the most privileged, powerful country in the world. And we have more power than we can imagine. And therefore, it’s our duty to do something and to speak out.”

We call on our fellow journalists to add their voices to the struggle for Palestinian liberation. We call on U students, professors and all Utahns to resist complacency and let it be known that we won’t stand by. Ask yourselves which side of history you want to be on. Otherwise, our silence and our tax dollars will continue to propel bullets through the air and drop bombs from the sky.

Free Palestine.

The Daily Utah Chronicle Editorial Board is a group of senior opinion journalists who rely on research and debate to write staff editorials. Editorials represent the majority view of the editorial board and are written separately from the newsroom.

Editor’s note, Nov. 17 5:25 p.m. • This editorial was updated to clarify that The Salt Lake Tribune Editorial Board, not The Salt Lake Tribune, stated that the actions of Hamas may have done the Palestinian cause “horrible, perhaps irreparable, damage.”

Editor’s note, Nov. 20, 10:00 a.m. • This editorial was updated to clarify statements from the Mecha organizer.

Editor’s note, Nov. 28, 11:15 a.m. • This editorial was edited to update statements that could not be independently verified.

26

• S

SimrahDec 18, 2023 at 5:14 pm

This piece really strongly demonstrates the fact that palestine is the victim, not the enemy. As a muslim, I 100% hope someone actually educated can read this and understand it with literal comprehension without have dumb-founded minds and rotten brains consisting support on just genocides.

Free Palestine

• D

Daniel ParkerDec 8, 2023 at 11:57 am

As an alumni of the U of U and a former photographer at the Chronicle, I am very disappointed to see this opinion. A week after graduating in 2005, I moved to New York City where I have lived and worked ever since among the second largest Jewish population outside of Israel. I work daily with Jewish collegues, friends and mentors and I have witnessed their utter shock and dismay as the rise of anti-semitism in our country grows, particularly on college campuses. Framing support for Palestine at this moment and justifying the horrible October 7th Hamas attacks as “retaliation” is an unaccetable form of anti-semitism towards Jews. The opinions expressed by the Editorial Board disregard the historical persecution of Jews and the need for a land they can call their own. As the large majority of Utahns enter the season in which Christmas celebrates the birth of a Jew 2,000 years ago, why are we framing Israel as an “occupied” state since 1947? Please study the full history of this land. If not Israel, then where should Jews have settled in a place they can call their own? It is ok to feel remorse and sadness for the victims of war (which include Palestians), but I dont think the Editorial Board is on the right side of history with their anti-semetic views that call into question Israel’s attacks on evil Hamas. Speaking of wrong side of history, the Chrony opinion was published on November 15th and after the backlash to the congressional testimony from Harvard, MIT and Penn a few weeks later, I think it hasnt taken long for people to see right through the Jew-hating narrative pervasive on college campuses nationwide. The smart students at the Chronicle can do better!

• L

lolaDec 31, 2023 at 5:40 pm

womp womp

• Y

Ya bnei zonotNov 27, 2023 at 4:54 pm

I will be happy to share your opinion with my friend who was raped and beheaded by Hamas on top of the burned body of her husband, or to my friends who’s baby has been beheaded while being livestreamed on Instagram.

• G

GunseliNov 18, 2023 at 5:25 pm

Thank you Chrony Ed Board for your courage, integrity, and for Call[ing] it for What It Is.

• B

BNov 17, 2023 at 7:40 pm

How sickening it is to choose this time, of all times, to call for a “Free Palestine”. Who will govern this ‘freed’ state? The very same who are now raping, murdering, and torturing innocent men, women, and children of numerous faiths and nationalities?

I can respect the position of those who sympathize with the civilian Palestinian population, which has genuinely been historically exploited, disadvantaged, and killed. The Israeli government, like all governments, is not above corruption and wrong doing. It must also, however, defend its people. To what degree defensive violence is necessary, I’m not qualified to say. But they must defend their existence somehow. Do you really prefer a terrorist government over that of Israel?

What does a ‘free Palestine’ look like? In my eyes, it appears to be an antisemitic, terrorist regime that would exterminate the Jewish population in Israel if it could. Think realistically. Maybe start proposing solutions that would actually improve the conditions of the Palestinians, rather than just waving Palestinian flags with no real plan of action. “Free Palestine” is not a plan.

I am disgusted that my peers choose not to openly denounce the evil that is Hamas. You can support Palestine without endorsing or justifying the actions of Hamas either directly or through omission. Though most sources place over 50% of Palestinians as supporting Hamas, there is a large portion who do not.

Stand with civilians, both Palestinian and Israeli, who are the true victims of the crimes of their leaders.

• S

SimrahDec 18, 2023 at 5:19 pm

On your note, “sickening time”, I believe you, it is a sickening time right now with the conflict that is occurring. The genocides have killed so much children. And I think this is a real plan of action, saying Free Palestine will have an effect and does have an effect. I think this is a perfect time to spread awareness on the fact that Palestine should be freed. Free Palestine

• D

daddyoNov 17, 2023 at 6:40 pm

you are supporting people who support people who put babies in ovens. Shame on you. Grow up!

• J

John HedbergNov 17, 2023 at 4:00 pm

Do any of you read books? Talk to witnesses? Watch interviews? Seen the photos from the death zones?

I’ve been studying the Israel dilemma since 6th grade, from books, from liberal international news sources, and from first-hand accounts of people who survived the Holocaust and who lived in Israel. The only ones indoctrinated with anonymously-funded propaganda here are the Global Marxists at the Chronic (and their friends) who are gullible enough not to know that Marxists go after every new generation, trying to convince them that their culture is “systematically racist/sexist/classist/dunce-phobic”, and whatever other labels may work in a particular culture which enables them to convince naive young people that “we’re the only ones who understand” and “we’re the only ones who have compassion” and “justice now!” while they perpetuate the opposite.

Every generation thinks that they’re the first to discover these themes, and every new generation learns the hard way that the easiest path to power for authoritarian despots is to convince young people that somehow, all the older people in every society going back thousands of years somehow missed the memo! Somehow, all those millions of other people just like us simply didn’t get it! 😂 We’re the ONLY ONES WHO UNDERSTAND that the propaganda we’re being fed is entirely new, and entirely trustworthy, because we’re so young! Naturally, only we can see through the “systems of oppression” to act for compassion and justice, which traditionally means allowing the Marxists to get just enough power so they can stop anyone else from acting democratically to get them out, at which point they turn on the dupes (students) who helped them gain power and eradicate them, since this is the only group that still has enough power to stop the Marxists at that point.

Catch an interview with anyone who survived the Cultural Revolution in CCP China, where the student Red Guards were used to eradicate the university professors and other dupes who helped Mao get into power, and once the Red Guard youth were done eradicating the “useful idiots”, the Red Guard youth were either gotten rid of, or they were exiled into the desert for the next 20 years while “The Party” consolidated total control.

Always, always, the new generation thinks that they’re the first and only ones who see through the “oppression”, and these dupes are always the last ones to realize that their own friends and family are now being wiped out to keep the genocidal psychopaths they launched into power from being challenged, since these same dupes are now the only ones left with the power to depose. This was the story in Soviet Europe, CCP China, North Korea, Venezuela, Rwanda, Cambodia, and so many other societies leading up to some of the worst genocides in human history. This is what my liberal public school teachers in Harvard country taught us about the real oppressors, after they and their families escaped some of the worst Marxist propaganda factories and slaughterhouses in history.

Are you just another dupe in a long line of dupes who think of yourself as “progressive”, flattered by “a new understanding”, “enlightened”, when the truth is that everyone except you already knows about Marxist capture of societies through propaganda, through fake pleas for compassion which they never actually practice, and by convincing the most naive that everything they’ve been taught by thousands of years of progressive learning is somehow a lie that only they know about… except it’s actually the other way around?

Is your “trustworthy” anonymously funded news source lying to you, and the only question is whether you’re going to continue willingly being a dupe, or whether you’re going to start listening to real accounts of history that show compassion is never about rage, that hate is never justified, but that life is full of unavoidable suffering and challenges and always has been, and only genuine Love can make all of this we go through together worthwhile?

Grow a little, show a gram of humility and scientific inquiry, and have genuine empathy for all your neighbors, no matter what false narratives you’re being fed, then get back to the rest of us, and you’ll finally find your safe space: your family. We’re all your family. All of us.

Wake up! Your algorithm has been spiked with poison (have you never heard of Jim Jones?), and if you don’t wake up quick, you may be dead before the antidote finds you, along with everyone you care about, because that’s the way Marxism shows its ultimate compassion: they show compassion by killing everyone who can still feel anything they might find threatening, and they find everything a threat, especially Love.

Best Regards (with that same Love),
    J Hedberg

• L

lolaDec 31, 2023 at 5:41 pm

womp womp

• A

AlexNov 17, 2023 at 1:30 pm

The glorification of a literal terror group in this post is absurd. Did you know that Hamas has thrown people off buildings for being gay?

• .

.Nov 17, 2023 at 1:20 pm

As much as I completely agree that the Israeli government over the years conducted itself very poorly regarding a lot of issues, the “retaliation” you’re talking about is horrendous, and cannot be excused.

Regardless what one’s may think, if to protest Israel you bomb a government building/military facilities, and some civilian get killed, I might understand (or accept that one may think) how it is a “necessary evil”. Going house by house and at a concert killing innocent people, including kids and elderly, in brutal ways, is nothing we can condone.

A couple of questions:

– please be very clear, what’s your idea for the Jewish people? Killed them all? No Muslim country has a Jewish population, so making Israel one of them is not a solution.
    – why Egypt closes the border and don’t help the Palestinians? And why Hamas spend money in missiles and not to help the development of Gaza?
    – you do know about other genocides in the world that has zero attention bt you all? You’re using a phone built on the suffering of children, but you are on a moral high ground so god forbid you say anything about that!
    – go and live in a Muslim country as a feminist or queer person and see how that goes. Should we abandoned all our values because a terrorist group has been doing all they can to maintain their population poor and (understandably) resentful?
    – can you all acknowledge and denounced the insane spike in antisemitic incident in the US also involving the U? Or it’s okay to be antisemitic because a country makes shitty choices?

This is a complicated and hurtful topic, and that means that a black and white, shouted opinion will never be the right one. you have, around you, jewish and Muslim people terrified to be on campus. This is on you.

Critical thinking is important, there’s no good vs bad, a student should know better about how to understand the world.

• J

JasonNov 17, 2023 at 1:02 pm

The Chronicle platforming anti-semites since 1890

• H

HanaNov 17, 2023 at 1:00 pm

Dead author,
    Regardless of what these other comments say, I believe this piece is powerful. Palestinians deserve peace and their land back. The Israeli Government is allowing a mass Apartheid funded by America. Hamas was originally funded by Israel and was presented as a moderate group (despite what these comments think). I’m glad someone in the University is brave enough to speak for so many people trapped in an open air prison that is being indiscriminately bombed. Stay true, free Palestine.

• M

martineNov 17, 2023 at 12:12 pm

beloved students. you can see even on these comments the vicious nature of the pro israheil agitators as well as their bloodlust . Look how many hundreds of thousands of Ukranian christians they’ve send into the meat grinder in Ukraine. many actually want full extermination of all Palestinians, a view shared by Nirmrata Randhawa publicly known as Niki Haley. Be careful, be cautious. You are next.

• H

HmmNov 17, 2023 at 9:57 am

Still horrified at the brutal war crimes committed against civilians by the Palestinian-elected Hamas terrorist organization.

You really support burning babies alive? Chopping the heads off of living children? Raping and then murdering women? Parading the naked bodies of murdered women?

Question, please: Would you support the same horrors at your university to achieve social justice goals?

I condemn all such brutality as described above.

Please, reconsider your support for such brutality, and instead support respect for all humanity.

Hmm

• C

ComradeNov 17, 2023 at 1:34 pm

At the time of this writing, the state of Israel has done oct 7th 10 times over to Palestinian civilians. You don’t have to conflate Hamas and the entire Palestinian population. And whoever told you you have to is lying.

If you persist in this black and white thinking, you must condemn the state of Israel as you do Hamas. Something tells me you wont.

Please, reconsider your support for such brutality and support respect for all humanity.

• M

martineNov 17, 2023 at 4:17 pm

every point you make has been debunked. You have to know that. You appear to be a straight up fabricator who has no interest in truth.

show us your proof. post the links. everybody thinks you have lied.

• Z

ZahraNov 17, 2023 at 6:52 am

Proud of this team for speaking out against the western, mainstream narrative of this “conflict”.

It is not a conflict it’s genocide — and it’s clear when the facts are presented.

Thanks for sharing the truth and adding your voice to the millions who are in support of Palestine.

• J

John HedbergNov 16, 2023 at 1:44 am

Dear Global Marxists at the Chronic,

You are the Oppressors.

The people of Jewish descent settled the area of Palestine thousands of years before Christ, so they are the natives of Palestine. After the Nazi’s exterminated more than 6 million men, women, and children (much like Hamas “fighters” did to Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, and Hindu civilians on October 7th), people around the world donated money for Jewish survivors to buy property in the land (Palestine) their ancestors had been dispossessed from. Jewish people today are European, Asian, African, North and South American and otherwise because they were forced to flee to all corners of the world when their homeland was repeatedly occupied, so there’s now no way to know how a Jewish person looks by sight, which is why Hamas kidnappers, rapists and murderers couldn’t tell that they were also committing genocide against fellow Palestinians on October 7th, as well as against visitors from around the globe, a great many of whom were minorities who were oppressed in their own homelands, but not in modern Israel, where they had equal legal and voting rights, where it was legal to be a woman and still drive a car, and where having a different lifestyle doesn’t target you for murder… unless Hamas or other Marxists happen to go on a genocidal killing spree in the name of an oppression that never happened, when they themselves are actual colonialists in Palestine.

Israel captured Gaza after genocidal neighbors invaded more than 50 years ago, but in the interest of peace, Gaza was given to the actual colonialists (who call themselves Palestinians, but who are no more Palestinian than the Israelis) almost 20 years ago, and they’ve chosen their own government since then. Despite this, they’ve chosen genocidal terrorists to rule Gaza, which is why none of the Arab states who invaded in their name 50 years ago when Gaza was captured will take any more of these genocidal psychopaths to live in Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, or anywhere else: they bring their poisonous hatred with them wherever they go, and if you build them a school, they turn it into a terrorist training center, and if you build them a hospital, they turn it into a military command compound. Tens of thousands of their own people who’ve renounced jihad live peacefully in Israel today with full civil and voting rights, and many of these were killed October 7th by fratricidal “brothers” who are unwelcome anywhere else in the world, not because they are “oppressed”, but because they can’t be trusted not to have a tantrum and kill anyone who wants to live a life of their own choice that’s different from Marxist hatred, misogyny, racism, and cultural suicide.

When Arabs and Allies drove the Nazi’s out of North Africa in 1943, nobody said they were committing “collective punishment” against fellow Arabs as they systematically destroyed Nazi tanks, airplanes, munitions, command bunkers, and any genocidal haters who refused to stop shooting at them. Hamas deliberately hides behind its own citizens as human shields, even as it spends the humanitarian aid it receives from around the world for more weapons, more tunnels, and more training for the next murders of innocents they tantrum their way into while talking about a compassion they never practice, and talk about ending an oppression which they themselves perpetuate (as Marxists historically do).

My own ultra-liberal public school teachers taught Massachusetts students all about who the real oppressors were, not just in Palestine since WW2, but around the world. It’s cultural Marxists waving the false flag of compassion and the “oppressed” who seize power and kill millions of their own family, friends, and neighbors, even as they’ve done across the planet all through the 20th Century and into the 21st. Just ask any friends from Mainland China, Venezuela, Cuba, North Korea (if you can find any), Cambodia, Soviet Europe, or any of the other people who’ve been starved, beaten, raped, murdered, falsely imprisoned, and today have their organs and fetuses involuntarily harvested in the name of “oppression” (the Uighurs). The anti-human genocidal Marxist narcissistic tango dances on, always aided by the very people (like students) who are the first the new government turns on when it seizes power, so it can solidify its grasp and end the ability of anyone else to mount a defense, as they come to your house and force anyone they don’t kill as an example to swear fealty to their new “god”. Have none of you ever watched an interview with anyone who’s escaped, no matter which murderous regime? (Yeonmi Park, for instance?)

Maybe a group styling itself an “Editorial Board” should open a book occasionally(?) and find out something about the world, and about life, something that isn’t programmed or run by an algorithm whose funders are conveniently anonymous. (Get a clue?)

Kind Regards, with Love,

J Hedberg

• G

GabyNov 16, 2023 at 8:03 pm

Johnny Boy, my man,

Please take a look at Jewish Voice for Peace’s website. Also please take a look at a news source that isn’t based in the United States, Democracy Now!

You like to scream Marxist, but lets put that on the burner for a second and just read and absorb without crying wolf first. Once you get a perspective that isn’t deeply indoctrinated, get back to me,
      Gaby

• J

John HedbergNov 17, 2023 at 3:45 pm

Gaby,

Since I grew up on the ultra-liberal East Coast, I’ve been studying the Israel dilemma since 6th grade, from books, from liberal international news sources, and from first-hand accounts of people who survived the Holocaust and who lived in Israel. The only ones indoctrinated with anonymously-funded propaganda here are the Global Marxists at the Chronic (and their friends, like yourself) who are gullible enough not to know that Marxists go after every new generation, trying to convince them that their culture is “systematically racist/sexist/classist/dunce-phobic”, and whatever other labels may work in a particular culture which enables them to convince naive young people that “we’re the only ones who understand” and “we’re the only ones who have compassion” and “justice now!”.

Every generation thinks that they’re the first to discover these themes, and every new generation learns the hard way that the easiest path to power for authoritarian despots is to convince young people that somehow, all the older people in every society going back thousands of years somehow missed the memo! Somehow, all those millions of other people just like us simply didn’t get it! 😂 We’re the ONLY ONES WHO UNDERSTAND that the propaganda we’re being fed is entirely new, and entirely trustworthy, because we’re so young! Naturally, only we can see through the “systems of oppression” to act for compassion and justice, which traditionally means allowing the Marxists to get just enough power so they can stop anyone else from acting democratically to get them out, at which point they turn on the students who helped them gain power and eradicate them, since this is the only group that still has enough power to stop the Marxists.

Catch an interview with anyone who survived the Cultural Revolution in CCP China, where the student Red Guards were used to eradicate the university professors and other dupes who helped Mao get into power (it was the same with Stalin), and once the Red Guard youth were done eradicating the “useful idiots”, the Red Guard youth were exiled into the desert for the next 20 years while “The Party” consolidated total control.

Always, always, the new generation thinks that they’re the first and only ones who see through the “oppression”, and these dupes are always the last ones to realize that their own friends and family are now being wiped out to keep the genocidal psychopaths they launched into power from being challenged by these same dupes, who are now the only ones left with the power to depose. This was the story in Soviet Europe, CCP China, North Korea, Venezuela, Rwanda, Cambodia, and so many other societies leading up to some of the worst genocides in human history. This is what my liberal public school teachers in Harvard country taught us about the real oppressors after they and their families escaped some of these Marxist propaganda factories and slaughterhouses.

So, Gaby, it sounds like you’re just another dupe in a long line of dupes who think of yourself as “progressive”, flattered by “a new understanding”, “enlightened”, when the truth is that everyone except you already knows about Marxist capture of societies through propaganda, through fake pleas for compassion which they never actually practice, and by convincing the most naive that everything they’ve been taught by thousands of years of progressive learning is somehow a lie that only they know about… except it’s actually the other way around.

You’re being lied to, and the only question is whether you’re going to continue willingly being a dupe, or whether you’re going to start listening to real accounts of history that show compassion is never about rage, that hate is never justified, but that life is full of unavoidable suffering and challenges and always has been, and only genuine Love can make all of this we go through together worthwhile.

When you grow a little, show a gram of humility and scientific inquiry, and have genuine empathy for all your neighbors, no matter what false narratives you’re being fed, then “get back to” the rest of us, and you’ll finally find your safe space: your family. We’re all your family. All of us.

Wake up! Your algorithm has been spiked with poison (have you ever heard of Jim Jones?), and if you don’t wake up quick, you may be dead before the antidote finds you, along with everyone you care about, because that’s the way Marxism shows its ultimate compassion: they show compassion by killing everyone who can still feel anything they might find threatening, and they find everything a threat, especially Love.

Best Regards (with that same Love),
        J Hedberg

• E

EvetkeNov 15, 2023 at 10:04 pm

Dear author, you seem to be completely brainwashed, or from a different planet. Free Palestine? They elected Hamas as their government, a terrorist organization mercilessly massacring innocent Israeli civilians, including babies, women and Holocaust survivors, and exterminating entire families. Where were you when this was happening? When unarmed teenagers where shot in the back at a music concert? Hundreds kidnapped and still missing, including American citizens? Free Palestine only exists in your dreams, because it would be a terrorist country governed by Sharia law where women, gay people, etc would lack human rights. Look at Afganistan, and keep dreaming about “free” Palestine.

• H

humanDec 3, 2023 at 8:45 am

Hey Evetke, I will be doing your homework as I assume you probably in this little FoxNews Bubble, even though you learned to look at sources and understand them more.

The last “election” in Gaza was in 2006.
      Hamas (propped up by Israel as a divide-and-rule opposition to the PLO) got 44.45% of the votes
      and the PLO 41.42%.

That was 17 years ago.
      About 48% of the two million people in Gaza are children under 18.
      That means they were either not yet born or at most 1 years old during the 2006 “election”.

Now speaking about Afghanistan, its the cause of America, America brewed up the power of Taliban to fight their war against Russia, just like they did to Iraq against Iran. And then depart the Proxy war making sure the country would never stabilize again, proof : look at Iraq and Afghanistan right now.

lastly Palestine will be free bud.

• G

GabyNov 15, 2023 at 8:59 pm

Powerful and excellently written.

The fact that a student newspaper is one of the only Utah journalism organizations brave enough to take a stand against the spread of propaganda is bittersweet.

It’s a shame that both the University and the Salt Lake Tribune have positioned themselves on the wrong side of history.

• J

JoeNov 18, 2023 at 4:28 pm

This article is rooted in pure bigotry and hatred. I stand with Israel and resist all of this anti-Semitic garbage that is being spewed by narrow minded, brainwashed, “inclusive” higher-ed fools.