Ski: Fausa takes first in women’s Giant Slalom in Day 2 of Utah Invitational

The Utah women’s ski team made up for its slow start on Monday as it claimed second overall in the giant slalom on Tuesday. Junior Chloe Fausa was the highlight of Tuesday’s action as she skied her way to a first-place finish in the event.

“I’m very happy with today,” Fausa said. “It feels great to start the season with a good result.”

Fausa began her journey to the top of the podium with the fastest first run of the day and collected 40 points after two runs. It was also her fifth career win in her collegiate career – all coming from giant slalom events. Utah ski director Kevin Sweeney agreed that her performance helped the Utes redeem themselves after Monday’s disappointing runs.

“Tremendous win for Fausa today,” Sweeney said. “Definitely this result has bolstered our confidence. We are taking some nice steps in the right direction, so we are really looking forward for tomorrow with the men’s giant slalom.”

After Fausa’s incredible runs, the Utah women finished out the day with 11th- and 16th- place finishes from Julie Mohagen and Teagen Palmer. Freshman Roni Remme didn’t finish her first downhill run.

With Utah scoring 75 points total, the results from their second-place finish bumped the Utes’ overall score to fourth place overall with 189 points at the Utah Invitational, with Denver remaining in first with a total of 240 points. Colorado takes second, followed by Montana State.

The Utes’ first invitational of the season continues on Wednesday at Park City as the men’s team takes on the giant slalom.

@chad_marquez