Softball: Utes nearly upset No. 1 Florida, best CSN on Saturday

The Utah softball team split its doubleheader against No. 1 Florida and Cal State Northridge on Saturday in Cathedral City, Calif.

Utah started the day off with the No. 1 Gators, who came into the game undefeated at 15-0. Utah started off the inning with Delilah Pacheco singling, but Florida pitchers Aleshia Ocasio and Delanie Gourley responded by retiring 18 straight Utah batters. Pacheco’s hit was the only one of the contest for the Utes.

Utah pitcher Miranda Viramontes kept the high-powered Florida offense at bay, blanking the Gators through four innings. Florida, averaging eight runs per game coming in, broke through in the fifth inning when Janell Wheaton singled, bringing home Nicole DeWitt from second for the Gators’ only run of the game.

Osasio pitched a one-hitter through six innings, striking out six Utes, to improve her record to 5-0. Gourley entered for the seventh inning and earned her first save of the year. Viramontes fell to 3-2 on the year, giving up eight hits, one run and one walk.

After the 1-0 loss to the Gators, Utah continued play in the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic against Cal State Northridge. The Utes put a run on the board in the bottom of the first after Anissa Urtez hit an RBI single to left field, her 11th RBI of the season, scoring Pacheco to make it 1-0.

The Matadors tied the game up in the top of the sixth on an error by Bridget Castro that allowed Taylor Glover to score. In the bottom of the sixth, the Utes took a 3-1 lead on Kay Kay Fronda’s two-run homer, her second in as many games. Katie Donovan got through the seventh inning to clinch the 3-1 win for Utah.

Donovan earned her sixth straight win, allowing three hits and one walk. Rebecca Bell took the loss, giving up three runs and seven hits.

The Utes wrap up the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic tomorrow with New Mexico State. First pitch is at 12:30 p.m. MST.

@JoeColesChrony