These Boots are Made for Shopping

Hannah Murphy, a second year Doctorate of Nursing student, wears boots at the U in Salt Lake City, Utah on Tuesday, Oct.4, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

I’m going to let you in on a little secret on where I usually shop for shoes at an awesome discount.

Name-brand shoes are not known for their affordability, and as college students, it may seem unreasonable to spend that amount of money they usually demand. No need to worry, as these three online shops listed below have discounts on designer shoes, and clothes. Focusing on boots for fall/winter, these stores will provide you with loads of options to select from.

6pm

6pm is owned by the CEO of Zappos and features discounts on shoes and clothing. Popular brands for boots on the site tend to include Frye, Dr. Martens and UGGS. What’s convenient about this online shop is that it provides ideas on what percentage off of the original price you can expect for each item, always listed below the discounted price. As an example, a pair of Dr. Martens boots were recently selling for $65 on 6pm.com, and below the price indicates that the original price was $145 and also indicates that you would be getting them at 55 percent off of that price.

Pros:

• Free shipping for purchases over $50
  • 30 days to return anything you don’t like
  • Clearance section where sale items are on even more of a discount

Cons:

• No options of styles from this season
  • Doesn’t include shipping costs as you shop
  • Must pay shipping for anything you return

YOOX NET-A-PORTER GROUP

Yoox combined with a well-known online store called NET-A-PORTER, which has the latest season of fashion designers apparel and other items online, to create YOOX NET-A-PORTER GROUP. This online destination is focused on selling high end clothing from previous years at a lower price than the original price it was sold for the year it came out. Top designers on the site include Gucci, Marc Jacobs, Valentino and Golden Goose.

Pros:

• Sometimes half-priced designer brand shoes for varieties typically priced as high as $150
  • Ease of access to new brands you may have never heard
  • 20 days to return anything you don’t like

Cons:

• Sales sometimes still pricy, with ranges starting at $40 and extending all the way to $2,000 for some styles
  • No free shipping
  • Only one photo of each store item is provided

SHOPSTYLE

Owned by POPSUGAR Inc., ShopStyle’s can be seen as an online location over all the other online shops previously mentioned since you will find 6pm and YOOX items within the site.

When it comes to boots, some of the top brands mentioned on the site are Jeffrey Campbell, Steve Madden, Sam Edelman and UGG.

Pros:

• Easy access to a ton of other retail sites making it a great one-stop shop
  • Multiple new brands you have never heard of
  • Information on what’s trending in the fashion world
  • Tips from sites’ editors

Cons:

• Occasionally inaccurate availability information, where sometimes you may click on an item only to find out that it’s sold out

All of these stores also have a mobile app if you want to browse them while on the move or don’t have access to your laptop or a computer when you want to find boots. These online destinations are convenient as they provide a wide selection of different brands you would probably have never found without browsing them. Find a unique pair of boots instead of the generic brand you may always pick out at the store and see multiple students on campus wearing the same ones, that way you can stand out a bit from the crowd and show some personality in your style.

@casualcolie