Professors Don’t Always Make the Grade

(Photo by Cole Tan)

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]

(Photo by Cole Tan)
(Photo by Cole Tan)

Many students wonder what qualifies someone to be the worst professor on campus. Well, the question isn’t easily answered.

TOP STORY: AND THE AWARD FOR WORST BUILDING GOES TO …

In a 2014 survey of students at 300 U.S. colleges, The Princeton Review asked students to rank their school’s professors on a scale from “awful” to “excellent.” The New Jersey Institute of Technology had the most “awful” professors. Schools such as the California Institute of Technology and UCLA were also in the top 20 for worst professors.

The survey didn’t talk to professors or give specific criterion for what qualifies as “awful” or “excellent,” but students at the U didn’t have a hard time coming up with similar experiences.

Heather Cummins, a freshman in chemistry, said she’s had her fair share of inflexible professors.

“One time I forgot to take a test for a class — people make mistakes, I was a first semester freshman — and I go talk to my teacher,” Cummins said. “I’m all mature about it … and he was like ‘Get out of my room. How dare you. I never want to see you again. Get out.’ I feel like even if he didn’t give me the option to retake the test, [he should have been] much more sympathetic.”

Tripti Rathi, an undeclared freshman, said she hasn’t had a bad professor yet, but she can imagine what one would be like.

“You can’t just ask questions after class without [professors] getting pissy,” she said. “If they’re just stuck in their own view of the world, not willing to look past that and understand where you’re coming from, if they’re not very personal, it’s tough to learn.”

Some students approached were afraid to be interviewed by The Daily Utah Chronicle, fearing the consequences of saying who their worst professor was.

@SeymourSkimmer[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]