Free Kittens: A Comical Escapade

Justin Prather

I couldn’t figure out why the baseball kept getting larger, and then it hit me.

Comedy as entertainment can be traced back to ancient Greece, where it was one of three principle dramatic forms in the theater. While Free Kittens: A Stand Up Comedy Show may not be held in an ancient Greek auditorium, it is a live comedy show here in Salt Lake City which will make you laugh out loud.

Comedian Bemo performs at Rye as a part of Free Kittens Comedy Show Aug. 3, 2018.
(Photo by: Justin Prather / Daily Utah Chronicle).

Jason Harvey and Greg Orme hosted the event on Friday, Aug. 3 at RYE Diner & Drinks, an all-ages eatery in SLC, beginning at 7 p.m.

Four local comedians narrated hysterical personal experiences to the packed room. The show began with Sam D’Antuono’s jokes and ended an hour and a half later with Genevieve Rice’s tales, bookending Bemo and Trevor Kelley’s entertainment of the diner patrons. Each stand up performance proved to be special and included suggestion cards unique to each comedian.

Comedian Sam D’Antuono performs at Rye as a part of Free Kittens Comedy Show Aug. 3, 2018.

The suggestion cards are exclusive to Free Kittens and what makes the monthly affair different than similar shows in the Salt Lake Valley. Each comedian attempts to incorporate 1 or more statements, suggested by the audience on the cards, into their sets. D’Antuono drew an “I’ll take it under advisement” card and incorporated it into his performance with hilarious effect.

Not all of the comedians made a point to use the cards. Kelley, the third comedian of the night, completely forgot about the suggestions until the end of his set. You can’t really blame the guy, he was too busy joking about an intense hatred for a particular Star Wars robot. “I hate 3PO,” he said.

Comedian Genevieve Rice performs at Rye as a part of Free Kittens Comedy Show Aug. 3, 2018.

Although the lineup was dominated by male figures, one lady stole the spotlight. The only woman featured during the August show, Rice ruled the night and made me literally howl with laughter. She told tales of her husband and work which were so relatable they were funny.

It was obvious she watches the audience, still, she said, “I don’t always pay attention.” She might not always monitor the situation in her personal life, but she definitely captured the curiosity of the room on Friday. She was a great finale to an even greater show.

[/media-credit] Patrons of Rye enjoy a Free Kittens Comedy Show Aug. 3, 2018.

The night couldn’t end without some commentary from the hosts, however. Harvey and Orme teased the crowd about 2 fictional sponsors going through a divorce. The couple had a lot of issues to overcome, including a GoFundMe and a name change. While their benefactors were make-believe, the hosts sure did make me laugh aloud.

Truthfully, I was chuckling and eating for the entirety of the night. The humor of each comic went well with the delicious food and alcoholic beverages served at RYE. It’s safe to say booze makes funny things even more comical.

Patrons of Rye enjoy a Free Kittens Comedy Show Aug. 3, 2018.

I would recommend Free Kittens to anyone looking to embrace a great time on a Friday night. Free Kittens is a free event held on the first Friday of every month. No tickets are required, but the event is typically 21 and over and may feature profanity. More information can be found here.

@adelinaydgJustin Prather