‘Talk to Me’: A Gruesome Indie Horror That Leaves You Wanting More

“Talk to Me” is a solid debut for two talented YouTubers turned directors that lingers with you long after you leave the theater. 
(Courtesy of A24 via Youtube)

The obsessive and cult following of movies such as “Midsommar,” “The Witch” and “Hereditary” have all been spearheaded by A24. These films have already been hailed by critics and fans alike as contemporary classics. Furthermore, the virality and “TikTok-edification” of movies in this ilk have created a bubble of marketing. This bubble carries A24 into an era where every next horror movie is a commodity ripe for potential. Each new A24 horror announcement is met with careening eyes before the movie even releases promotional material.

Talk to Me” premiered at the 2022 Sundance Film Festival to a mini zeitgeist of buzz. After the festival, it was bought by everyone’s favorite indie movie distribution company A24. Hailed as the scariest film of the year, next to “Evil Dead: Rise,” the directors, Danny and Michael Philippou, quickly earned a sequel — a surprising feat for debut feature film directors. 

Demon Possession, Addiction and Grief

The strongest element of “Talk To Me” is, without a doubt, the concept. Using demonic possession as an allegory for addiction in the age of social media ultimately provides the best parts of the movie. However, I was left wanting more in terms of world-building and fleshing out the already riveting and fascinating world.

The pacing of the film is tight and the run-time clocks in at around an hour and a half. Unfortunately, some plot points and characters are left slightly underdeveloped. The main character Mia (Sophie Wilde) is a commanding presence and brings her all to a role that left me wanting a little more. 

The crux of the film is centered around the grief of losing a loved one. In this case, the loss of the main character’s mother. This theme is ever pervasive in today’s conception of contemporary horror. It would have been nice to see more from what felt like an overly simplified motivation. The death of Mia’s mom only serves to give the audience an emotional buy-in to what happens on screen.

Another annoying weakness is the music choice and song direction. The score divides and interrupts the ambiance the audience may anticipate going in. 

Small Budget Tension

Despite the film’s weaknesses, there is so much about this movie that also feels fresh. The special effects makeup is perhaps the most impressive technical element of this film. It adds a level of terror to the most gruesome of scenes. There are at least two times you will probably have the urge to look away from what’s happening. 

The performances, especially during the possession scenes, are so energetic and fist-pumping. They make the film more than just a flaccid attempt at a first feature-length debut.

The cherry on top of this metaphorical horror is the wrap-around ending. “Talk to Me” is a solid debut for two obviously talented YouTubers turned directors. It may just linger with you long after you leave the theater. 

@arlo_marler