ASUU Kicks Off New “True to U” Tradition

Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle
Two U students pose at the Block U during the True to U event at the U in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Feb.11th, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Students took the opportunity to indulge in candy, cookies and kisses at ASUU’s True to U event.

Just before Valentine’s Day, students were invited to take a photo kissing or showing their school pride in front of the Block U on lower campus. Music echoed in the middle of campus as hot chocolate and cookies were served during the photo shoot from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. Representatives from ASUU, K-Ute Radio and Dining Services flagged down students in between classes to get one of the U’s traditions “off the ground.”

A group of U students pose at the Block U during the True to U event at the U in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Feb.11th, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

ASUU’s Campus Traditions Board, supervised by senior class president Brittni Strickland, put on the event as a part of the initiative to make U traditions more widely known.

Typical “true” traditions such as the True Aggie at Utah State involve kissing another person in front of school statues. The U version was designed to be inclusive where students were not limited to kissing but could take photos by themselves or with friends in front of the Block U.

Two U students pose at the Block U during the True to U event at the U in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Feb.11th, 2016.(Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

“Pictures last forever,” Strickland said. “It’s a memory that students can always have and have a little fun with.”

Originally planned to be a nighttime activity, True to U was rescheduled for the middle of the day with hopes of increasing participation.

Toiria Graham, a senior in psychology and sociology, took a photo with her sister-in-law, Jessica Graham.

“It’s an excuse to get out and meet new people,” Graham said.

Photos will be available through ASUU’s Facebook page.

@BeauHart13