Computer labs in the Marriott Library on the University of Utah campus, Salt Lake City, UT on Thursday,Aug.24, 2017 (Photo by Ben Mccleery/ Daily Utah Chronicle)

Anyone trying to view the University of Utah’s Student Life Center website through Google on Sunday night may have seen a little more than they bargained for.

Beginning Sunday evening, students attempting to access the facilities page on the Campus Recreation Services website on Google reported being redirected to various pornographic pages. Those using other search engines, however, didn’t run into the problem.

According to University Information Technology (UIT), the snag was a Google issue.

“We’ve already contacted Google,” said a UIT representative.

The hiccup appeared to be fixed Monday morning. UIT’s Information Security Office worked to establish a temporary work-around for the website until Google mends the issue.

UIT said, “We’ve never run into this problem before.”

@emilyreanderson

e.anderson@dailyutahchronicle.com

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Emily Anderson
Emily is the executive editor at The Daily Utah Chronicle and Wasatch Magazine. She studies journalism and the Middle East. Since 2015, Emily has covered stories from nearly every beat at the Chronicle. She is also a contributor at SLUG Magazine, and has interned with RadioWest, KUER News and The Salt Lake Tribune.