(Photo by: Tom Denton | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Sports are all fun and games, taken literally, but maybe we take our rivalries a little too seriously. The game between the University of Utah and Brigham Young University is called the “Holy War.” Is it really an epic battle of bloodshed and death? No — thank goodness — but that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun to throw down and talk big. While you do, maybe eat some heavenly, delicious themed sweets as a reminder that the rivalry is just a game. Cupcakes and cookies are what really matter. You can even buy edible markers and skinny, colored frosting tubes — perfect for writing out your feelings before you eat them.

If sugary slurs aren’t hardcore enough, we suggest some “oozing cupcakes.” We all bleed red, so why shouldn’t our treats? These are the perfect gift for the BYU fan in your life, just leave before they take their first bite of the disguised treat.

Vanilla cupcakes:

2 1/2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

3 tsp. of baking powder

1 tsp. of salt

1 cup milk

½ cup vegetable oil

1 Tbsp. of vanilla extract

2 large eggs

1 cup water

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prep a muffin pan. (The paper cups always work better than cooking spray.)
  2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl combine the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs. (Imitation vanilla is not as flavorful as the real stuff. Be sure to taste your batter.)
  4. Slowly mix the dry and wet ingredients and beat until you can’t see any dry ingredients.
  5. Slowly add in the water, still beating. The batter should be fairly runny and shiny.
  6. Fill the cupcake tins about halfway and bake 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Buttercream frosting:

1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter (This means in between melted and cold. If you touch it you should leave a finger dent, but it shouldn’t be runny.)

4 ½ cups powdered sugar

1 tsp. of vanilla extract

Food coloring in your desired color (I use blue and red, obviously).

1. Beat the butter until creamed. (This will seem weird and ineffective— just beat it for about 30 seconds so the mix isn’t a solid block.)
  2. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until it becomes smooth but thick. (If your frosting is runny, pop it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.)
  3. Add the food coloring 3-4 drops at a time until the desired color is achieved. (It takes me 8-10 drops of each color.)

Note: When in doubt, just keeping beating the buttercream. If your frosting is runny, add more sugar and always add the liquid ingredients last.

Assembly:

1. Poke holes in the baked cupcake by pressing the center down with your thumb.
  2. Fill the centers with your red frosting and sprinkles (cinnamon sprinkles are a great choice).
  3. Pipe the blue on top and decorate!

These are just a few ideas to make your game day a little more fun and keep the sweet in our rivalry. A warm cupcake on a cold day goes perfectly with beer and apple cider — or a hot temper. So heat up the oven and watch the game. Win or lose, we are in for a wild ride made better with a lot of sugar.

m.slack@dailyutahchronicle.com

@slack_madge

Madge Slack
Madge is thrilled to be arts editor for her second year now. She is an English major and Theater minor graduating this spring May 2019. While she will be sorry to leave her amazing writers and friends behind she can't wait for whatever comes next and, more importantly, she can't wait to write about it.