Track and field: Howerton-Davis breaks own record

Destanae Howerton-Davis celebrates breaking the school record in shot put with 48-10 feet Friday at Utah’s Annual Spring Classic. Erin Burns / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Destanae Howerton-Davis celebrates breaking the school record in shot put with 48-10 feet Friday at Utah’s Annual Spring Classic.
Erin Burns / The Daily Utah Chronicle

The Utah track and field team enjoyed the luxury of being in their own backyard this weekend and performed well in the Utah Spring Classic. With the grassy hill overlooking the track filled with spectators and the athletes putting up great performances, the event was buzzing from the start.
“Overall, things went pretty smooth,” said head coach Kyle Kepler. “There was a minor timing issue, but everyone was very understanding and we got things underway quickly. It was great to see all the spectators piling in on the hill, as well as see our athletes perform well. It was great for our program.”
While a lot of focus was on the track, many spectators were unaware of the Utes’ success in the throwing area. After breaking the school discus record last week in Arizona, Destanae Howerton-Davis continued her hot streak this weekend. Howerton-Davis broke the school shot put record with a massive throw of 48 feet 10 inches. She then traveled to Weber State University the next day and broke her own discus record again, throwing a mark of 166 feet 10 inches, more than a foot farther than her previous record.
“It feels amazing,” Howerton-Davis said of breaking the record. “It’s a great feeling to know that all the hard work that my coach and I have been putting in is paying off. At the same time, I still have to stay grounded. I still have a long way to go before I qualify for regionals, and hopefully nationals.”
While a lot of individuality is involved in this sport, Howerton-Davis quickly gave credit to others for this accomplishment.
“I definitely owe a lot to my coaches and my teammates,” Howerton-Davis said. “After having a rough indoor season, they have all been really supportive. They have pushed me, and we work as a team. Everything we accomplish is for all of us.”
The 800-meter run was one of the more exciting races on the track. With All-American runner Amanda Mergaert in the event, the fans were hoping for a fast race. Mergaert finished her last career home meet in style, as she won the event in 2:08.81. Making the race even better for the Utes was Ali Eisenbeiss, who finished right behind Mergaert in second place with a time of 2:09.97.
“Honestly, it was a little bizarre,” Kepler said. “The race went out slow, but Amanda knew she wanted to win the race, and very few people can match her strength right now. I am very proud of Ali, though, for breaking 2:10 and being able to provide a one-two finish for us.”
Other notable finishes for the Utes included Aoife Hickey in the hammer throw. Hickey, who is from Ireland, not only won the hammer throw event, but with her throw of 201 feet 10.75 inches, she qualified for the Under 22 European Championships. Her throw also ranks third all-time in Utes history.
Langley Iverson also had an impressive outing as the senior won the high jump with a leap of 5-feet-7 inches — her season best.
The Utes will be back in action this weekend, as the 10,000 meter runners will compete in the Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut, Calif., while the rest of the team will compete at the Long Beach Invitational.
“It is going to be a busy weekend,” Kepler said. “We are trying to take advantage of every opportunity we can get to compete against good competition. This weekend will be a good chance for a lot of the athletes to get personal bests.”
[nggallery id=151]